HELP! weird squeak squeal coming from driver side gti 6r

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

HELP! weird squeak squeal coming from driver side gti 6r

Post by tommytse22 »

Hello, I'm very worried! I have own the car for 3 years now and I just notice a very strange squeak squeal noise coming from the front driver side I'm pretty sure! It only happens between 1st and 2nd gear I'm pretty sure around 1500-2000rpm revs I don't notice any difference in the car performance I can't work out what is wrong with it ? I also notice a little squeal noise if I'm braking and coming to a complete stop. I'm pretty sure it is not coming from the pads or disc. Can it be supercharger, turbo or dsg ? Car have no warrenty :( should I do the clever thing and buy extentded warranty now like warrenty wise etc to back myself up just in case it completely break down ?
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Re: HELP! weird squeak squeal coming from driver side gti 6r

Post by Willni »

First off extended warranty wise, I probably would just to be safe never know what could happen :) but it's only really worth it if you get a good covering one like Volkswagens own

Low rev sequels I think can usually be linked to belts, best way to test this is open the bonnet bonnet while the cars on and spray a bit of water on the belts and then apply some throttle it's an easy check so might as well.

When breaking I think you could just have a stone or something stuck in one of the calipers, I had one for a week or so couldn't hear it with the window up but did when I had the window do and radio off, it will fix itself overtime if it is a rock. Could be a build up of rust on the back of the caliper since it's a dsg it'll automatically do engine breaking, so if you find a clear road and get up to speed and then put the car in neutral so that it's only the breaks slowing the car down this will eat away the rust behind the discs, you'll need to do this a couple of times.
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Willni wrote:First off extended warranty wise, I probably would just to be safe never know what could happen :) but it's only really worth it if you get a good covering one like Volkswagens own

Low rev sequels I think can usually be linked to belts, best way to test this is open the bonnet bonnet while the cars on and spray a bit of water on the belts and then apply some throttle it's an easy check so might as well.

When breaking I think you could just have a stone or something stuck in one of the calipers, I had one for a week or so couldn't hear it with the window up but did when I had the window do and radio off, it will fix itself overtime if it is a rock. Could be a build up of rust on the back of the caliper since it's a dsg it'll automatically do engine breaking, so if you find a clear road and get up to speed and then put the car in neutral so that it's only the breaks slowing the car down this will eat away the rust behind the discs, you'll need to do this a couple of times.

thank you for the reply willni. the cars only 4 years old with 48k miles? would it really be a belt fault? i swear i read somewhere the polo gti is a chain rather then a belt? also the breaking squeak noise is the same as the low rev noise but just not as loud.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

tommytse22 wrote:
thank you for the reply willni. the cars only 4 years old with 48k miles? would it really be a belt fault? i swear i read somewhere the polo gti is a chain rather then a belt? also the breaking squeak noise is the same as the low rev noise but just not as loud.[/quote]

If it is a chain then I'd be wrong, belts generally wear out around 50-60k though. Although not to say the belts not just sitting a bit off which would cause a squeak.
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Willni wrote:
tommytse22 wrote:
thank you for the reply willni. the cars only 4 years old with 48k miles? would it really be a belt fault? i swear i read somewhere the polo gti is a chain rather then a belt? also the breaking squeak noise is the same as the low rev noise but just not as loud.
If it is a chain then I'd be wrong, belts generally wear out around 50-60k though. Although not to say the belts not just sitting a bit off which would cause a squeak.[/quote]

thank you! hopefully it is just a silly little thing that need to be changed. hopefully nothing to do with the dsg or supercharger/turbo as this is probably the most expensive to repair. ive now booked it in to vw, for a free road test. hopefully they can see the problem and say it is a simple repair. only just decided to keep the car and pay it off so hopefully i havnt made the wrong decision.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

tommytse22 wrote: thank you! hopefully it is just a silly little thing that need to be changed. hopefully nothing to do with the dsg or supercharger/turbo as this is probably the most expensive to repair. ive now booked it in to vw, for a free road test. hopefully they can see the problem and say it is a simple repair. only just decided to keep the car and pay it off so hopefully i havnt made the wrong decision.
Well the good/bad thing is the problem hasn't come up before so if it was a major problem that happened with the gearbox or turbo you'd have known about it. Goodluck with it anyway!
tommytse22
Bronze Member

Post by tommytse22 »

Willni wrote:
tommytse22 wrote: thank you! hopefully it is just a silly little thing that need to be changed. hopefully nothing to do with the dsg or supercharger/turbo as this is probably the most expensive to repair. ive now booked it in to vw, for a free road test. hopefully they can see the problem and say it is a simple repair. only just decided to keep the car and pay it off so hopefully i havnt made the wrong decision.
Well the good/bad thing is the problem hasn't come up before so if it was a major problem that happened with the gearbox or turbo you'd have known about it. Goodluck with it anyway!
thank you for the advise and replies, appreciate it.