New owner of a polo blue gt.strange noise on cold start

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bevii3
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT

New owner of a polo blue gt.strange noise on cold start

Post by Bevii3 »

does anyone else notice that their car sounds quite ticky when first starting it? I've heard it's a fairly ticky engine anyway but it's just on cold starts it seems worse. is this still normal? it's a 13 plate with only 14700 miles on it. as i say its just on a cold start and it goes after about 5 mins of driving. thanks in advance
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Re: New owner of a polo blue gt.strange noise on cold start

Post by d-ash »

Most likely camshaft to valve clearances. They get lubricated once the engine is running and tighten as the engine warms up, so will quiten down.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I've got a BlueGT and have had it since new in 2014. The ticking noise is nothing to worry about. My car hasn't missed a beat in 3 years (touch wood haha)
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

That's nothing to worry about most cars are like that.
Bevii3
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Post by Bevii3 »

thanks for the info guys. i love driving it and upgraded from the 85ps polo 1.4 match. love that extra power when needed. I assumed it would be normal sound I just wanted to put my mind at ease.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Noticed a difference between that engine and the old 1.4 16v - ha ha, yes I bet you have noticed quite a bit! My wife went from the old 1.4 16v 75ps to a 1.2TSI 110PS and she noticed the change! I am still quite happy using my daughter's old 1.4 85ps Ibiza while my Audi S4 rests in the garage!

That is one of the problems with modern engines, my 3.0TFSI (supercharged V6) in my S4 does sound a bit noisier than my old 2.8 V6 engine in my old Passat - that Passat engine was so smooth from cold start all the way through its heating up period and all the way through its rev range. Wife's 1.2TSI 110ps Polo is definitely a bit busy sounding, but that is the way of things it seems!

It seems like NHV was been thrown out the window and emissions is the only goal now - oh and cheapness of manufacture!