Power windows died on your Mk4? Read here.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
nutter guy
New

Post by nutter guy »

has anybody got any full sets (switches wiring the lot) available or know of any one with if so please drop us a pm thanks...
poynters_polo
New

car

Post by poynters_polo »

I got this prob to
antonio_king
New

Post by antonio_king »

Hey people,

My drivers windows packed up months ago, no noises, no movement, nothing!

So a few questions, has anyone had this problem before? As I've noticed, is that most people posting here have movement in one position but not the other. Although my window was completely up when this happened, not sure how to test weather it will go up.

...and would the repair kit help me?

Cheers!
dnamlot
New

Post by dnamlot »

Hi, I have been trying to fix a problem with a drivers side electric window. I followed the Haynes manual to the letter of the law and diagnosed a failed motor. I bought a replacement motor which did nothing to solve the problem. I went back a step and dignosed a faulty relay again, no fix to the problem. Finally perplexed I got down to the challenge of testing individual sections of wire. I found the problem! One of the power cables had become severed in the harness running from the car body to the door. Not only was this cable severed but a number of others were showing signs of failing I suppose caused by the repeated flexing of the cables when the door opens and closes. I guess that the reason I kept having intermittent power to the door was the fact that every once in a while the two ends would touch.

I offer my experience as somewhere else to check if you are not receiving power to the window and so that you do not make the same mistakes I did. Incidentally if anyone needs a genuine electric motor/ regulator Part Number 6N4 959801 or a Brand new Electric Window Motor Relay Part number 8DO 951 253 A, both are for sale on the For sale board and on ebay. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further details or pictures.
LeMeph
Platinum Member

I hate windows.

Post by LeMeph »

my window seems to have dropped :?

Its been a dman long night, i just pulled up at home waiting to go to bed and i went to do up my window and it just make a horrible crunching sound and then it sorta sounded like it was knocking repeatedly. The glass itself remains half up but the motor does nothing but make horrid noises if yuo try to move it at certain points. Its been knocking for a few weeks, i think whatever is holding the glass up has let go. Anyboy know what is holding it up and how easy it might be to fix? im gonna take a look tommorow, its late and im shattered so fook doing it now lol.

Any help muchly appreciated commrades. Ta.

Chris,
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Mines making a sort of really bad rubbing noise on the drivers side when the window reaches about halfway down. Have not noticed it when the window is closing only when opening it. Was this a symptom of any of yours before they went because I got a feeling they are on the way out :x
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

yeh it did make that noise! Ive been quoted about 50 quid to have it fixed by my mates dad. Though i dont have 50 quid so now i have a slight gap around the window and a lump of wood in my door :shock:

Chris,
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

my girlfriends passenger window fell in2 the door when someone leaned on it the other day! it wasn't coming back up!!

she said there was still power to the window but nothing was happening!! its has been on the go slow for months, even before we got the car!!

she took it to vw and they had a look and got the window up and wedged a bit of wood under it to hold it!! for a cost of £50 :shock:

they have told her she needs a new regulator and that the motor will not be far behind!! and the total cost was getting towards £350!!!!!!!!

needless to say shes not going back!! window is up and my dad reckons he may be able to fit the parts if we can get hold of em!!
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

So basically from what most people are saying its on its way out by the sounds of it. :evil: Its stoped making the noise so much now. For the time being il have to use the sunroof and blowers for air as to try and prolong the life of the windows, til I can afford to get it sorted.
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

see if you all owned an open air it just palin wouldnt matter if you didnt have a window, the roof caters perfectly 8)

Chris,
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Yeah but how screwed are you if your roof jams open lol :shock:
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

Incredibly. But untill the day.... i remain very open, and very airy. was that To corny or just enough?

Chris,
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

Haha :P Nah mate spot on
LeMeph
Platinum Member

Post by LeMeph »

Excellent. I do try :D lol.

Chris,
Biddle
Platinum Member

Post by Biddle »

ahh s**t the bloody windows packed up today. Less than a month after I posted I heard noises :evil: (see around 5 posts up) Sods law its my driver side window so drivethroughs, carparks etc are pain in the arse at the moment. Gotta get it sorted soon. At least its stuck closed not open, I guess I'm lucky in that respect. LeMeph have you had yours fixed yet?