Heater/blower not working. 1996 6N

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
mderivative
New

Heater/blower not working. 1996 6N

Post by mderivative »

So here is my problem: My heater stopped working overnight. I took it out, checked the motor. It spins with no real effort, no strange smell coming out of it, looks good. I also took out the green ceramic block with thermal fuse there (240C - 10A), measured it using a DMM everything seems to be OK. Checked voltage to the plug that goes into the ceramic block, no voltage there. Took out the central console and measured the voltage coming to the back of the speed levels dial, nothing. Checked the plug that gos to the little light bulb gave a ~11V voltage. Also checked the no. 6 fuse in the fuse box under the steering wheel, with no luck, the fuse was ok (20A) and find out that, even tho the contact was on, 1st speed selected, there was no voltage on the fuse either. At this point I'm all out of ideas. Can anyone give me an advice or a little bit of more information in regards to whats to be done, or what have I done wrong in the above steps?

PS: It's worth mentoning that the heater doesn't work on any of the speeds. I've checked a number of forums in a couple of languages, decided this would be the best, fastest way to find a solution.

tyvm
marlin
New
Drives: 1996 Polo L 3 door hatchback

Re: Heater/blower not working. 1996 6N

Post by marlin »

Hi mderivative, did you ever get your heater problem sorted as I have the same problem and would appreciate some help.
marlin
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Re: Heater/blower not working. 1996 6N

Post by JUUL »

Marlin, you are replying to a 10yr old post...don't know for sure you will receive an answer from the original poster. There is a failsafe built into the blower, speed 4 should always work because by law you must be able to demist your windshield while driving. If it doesn't work on speed 4, then there is obviously an electrical issue. Have you tried to power the fan directly?