Re: My high mileage GTI

Post by Space »

Sounds like alotta work. :roll:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

One screw underneath where the glossy section is, two screws at the bottom once you remove the lower cover on the clocks then it pulls forward
TRiBaL
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.4 16V 6n2

Post by TRiBaL »

Yeah, the pulling is the hardest part if you don't break the plastic clips underneath
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

Haven't done the dashboard job yet. Had to prepare a 98 Hyundai Excel for a friend. I drove the Hyundai for a week because the Polo was running on 2 cylinders. On acceleration the engine started to judder and then the ecu decided to shut down the nr1 and 4 cylinder and the lambda control. So I replaced the bobine/ignition coil today and I runs like mad again. All the small judders I have been feeling for the past coupla months are gone as well. It runs awesome.

As for the old coil. It had 0.5 inch long tear in the plastic casing. It was a Beru one, 3 years old, 40.000 miles on it.
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

I replaced the circuit board of the ultrasonic alarm sensor. The old one malfunctioned because from one of the sensor elements a small welded disc was loose. It caused the car alarm to trigger every few minutes.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Good fix :)
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

I am replacing the rotten front wing. Seems like I've got to remove the bumper or is it enough to pull it slightly forward?
I remember seeing a topic here on how to remove the bumper, including pics. Can't find it anymore. If someone has a link, please post it.

Replaced a rear brake caliper. New one has no color, so painting it now with Caprotech rx5+rx10. You can paint it with a simple brush and because it dries slowly it will finish smoothly, high gloss. Never seen paint like this before; amazing stuff.

Some bad news though; I am going to sell the car. It feels like a pain. I put so much time and money in it. And that is the thing; 5th gear making noise, a lazy 3rd cylinder. If I want to continue driving it, it has to be fixed but the investment will never repay itself. And even if I revise the engine and gearbox, there's still a lot of 16 yo stuff that can get broken. VW stopped selling supplies last year; another problem for maintaining this car.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Theres bolts behind the bumper. Youll need to remove it, plus the bumper guides are also on the bottom of the wings

Removing the bumper - its easy

Four bolts on the top above the grille, the screws in the arches that run down the inside of the bumper and into the lower splitter

One bolt each side behind the fog light grilles

Remove the front indicators, and theres a bolt beneath there also

Pull the edges of the bumper out from the wings, then itll come forward
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

Thanks Alex, it was indeed a piece of pie. Now preparing the replacement of the wing.
Space
Getting There!

Post by Space »

It was quite an easy job. It looks so much better now without that rusty fender!

I also removed the dirt cap on the other front wheel. A ton of mud came out. Cleaned it, waxed it. Too bad the wing on that side is also getting bad, but I haven't been able to find a good used one in LC9Z color so far.

The cause of the rust is bad quality aftermarket wings. Car has been in an accident long time ago.

This friday I'm going to look around for a replacement for the Polo. Maybe I will exchange it, maybe sell. Not sure how much I can get for it in an exchange. Problem with selling it is that it often attracts test pilots or people that after the sale come back to you when there's a problem with it.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Sold as seen buddy - its their problem after they've purchased it. Make them sign a receipt with a disclaimer making that clear