New to the forum, long time VW nut

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
woodyman84
New
Drives: 6n2 GTI

New to the forum, long time VW nut

Post by woodyman84 »

Hi everyone, Bought My polo GTI about a year ago now and its a proper little pocket rocket!
Ive had Mk2 golf GTIs 8v 16v and a mk3 VR6 previously.
was quite underwhelmed with the VR6 but ive been really impressed with the Polo!

Just done a Oil and filter change but previous to this i noticed it was using a lot of oil (adding at least 1 litre every month maybe more)
there is absolutely no smoke from the exhaust when cold or hot and it drives really well so i dont think its burning it.
I did notice the Breather pipe is badly split and very soft though so im not sure if that could cause that amount of oil loss

6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Re: New to the forum, long time VW nut

Post by 6n2stan »

Welcome! I'm much the same, Audi's, Golf's etc but the Polo has lasted the longest :D

The oil breather it's common, do you get petrol fumes when stationary on a warm day?

That's a lot of oil consumption! Do you think it could be leaking but burning off against the exhaust?
woodyman84
New
Drives: 6n2 GTI

Re: New to the forum, long time VW nut

Post by woodyman84 »

That's a good possibility actually, didn't think of that, I've not noticed the fumes but then I don't drive it every day as I have a work van. I've had the under tray off and there is a patch of oil. Also noticed that the air filter has quite a lot of oil residue on it as well as the throttle body