Engine seized! :-(

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Engine seized! :-(

Post by Aquavalver »

Can anyone offer me advice? The engine on my 6N2 Polo GTI I think seized today. :roll: The car is pretty mint with no rust, no paintwork issues, mint interior with airbag seats and other optional extras. Never had a problem with the engine or gearbox before. Does anyone know anywhere that does re-conditioned engines, or can exchange or rebuild engines for a decent price? If the car was average and not so mint and looked after, I'd just get rid and get another car, but I'm a bit loath to do this on this car! Thanks for any help!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Engine seized! :-(

Post by alexperkins »

Ebay for an engine

Any decent independent mechanic can rebuild it though. Very much depends how and why it's seized
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Think it's hydro-locked- went through a flooded road slowly but water splashed up passenger front wheel-arch where the K&N Typhoon induction kit went down to
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ah. Typhoons are known for that

Hydrolocked isn't that hard to resolve

Normally just a head off job, clean up and new head gasket
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

It's a bit of a design fault really if that can happen. Some mechanics I've spoken to think the water could have caused the rods to bend/damage engine-but not 100% sure. Took spark plugs out and no water there and oil level was only slightly more than normal. What usually needs to be done after that has happened to car's with Typhoons? What you said, or more serious?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It very much depends how much water has been sucked in

If there's no damage and the rods aren't bent it's just a cleanup. If they are bent it'll be new con rods but the rest should be ok

Yes I agree it's a serious design flaw. I looked into having one many years ago but the lowness of the intake location put me off as what's happened to you is very much possible
Aquavalver
Silver Member

Post by Aquavalver »

Mine isn't even lowered, but has the 16" version wheels- but if the car was lowered there would be a far greater and more often chance of that happening. I think you have the option of not having it down to the bottom of the wheel arch, but of course it went get as much cool air being in that position.