Attempt at owning yet another polo

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dannm997
New
Drives: Polo 9n1 1.4 TDI

Attempt at owning yet another polo

Post by dannm997 »

SO, as you can all probably tell im rather new here. in the past i have owned a 1.2 polo (AWY). It was horrendous.
Now i am yet again the owner of a 9n1 polo, this time a 1.4 tdi. So far so good, i thought that they get bombproof reviews and now upon opening my own garage if it all goes t**s up i can sort it. (last time i had to change the gearbox on the side of the road outside my house).
Anyways I have done some research on this car and found that power and economy wise a custom re map will do it best. however i would like to know if there are any other ways to improve performance that is actually legal.
I know of some simple tricks such as cleaning vac lines, cleaning out the egr and intake plus a tasty little service for it.
But as with all forums a lot of people have a lot of knowledge on these cars and i would love to know common issues and fixes and what not.
Much appreciated.
Dan
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: Attempt at owning yet another polo

Post by bvs »

Hi Dan
Welcome to the forum :)
Sorry cannot help with 1.4 tdi engine specifics - I went the other way and bought a 1.9tdi PD Fabia 2,I was trying to buy a Polo 1.9 tdi but could not find one with the spec I wanted LOL
As I am sure you are aware the 1.4 tdi is used across the vw/skoda/seat range so might be worth joining the Briskoda forum as well,it is very active and loads of tech knowledge on there.

rgds baz
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I have a 1.4 TDI 9n3 which is the same block. I find a bottle of diesel magic and a regular service works wonders. Its done 110k and still returns 55-60mpg all day long :)
dannm997
New

Post by dannm997 »

Cheers for your replies Alex and Baz.
Yeah i was thinking i should post a thread on the seat and skoda forums.
surprisingly enough for 189k miles it runs like a dream, after a service of all filters and fluids for a bargain of £41, i average 68 MPG on the m1 between junction 23 and 28 which has some hills in it and even some city driving! it seems like when i put the heating on the temp gauge drops a rather large amount which I`ve not really encountered before, is this normla or should i be looking at the thermostat and heater matrix?
i was looking at diesel cleaners which ill try, maybe she will be better on fuel, maybe not. either way i cant fault her fuel economy. its brilliant!
upon taking apart the egr valve i was surprised to see how clean it was. gave it a good clean with some EGR cleaner to make sure its all good.
VAG COM wise where do i look for the right program as i know there are different ones.
Once again cheers!
- Dan
pretty clean i thinks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

VCDS is what you want to use diagnostic wise

Diesel cleaner use comma diesel magic all day long. Use it on a half tank though instead of a full tank as it'll give a more concentrated clean :)

That's pretty impressive MPG

As for the temperature drop, sounds like the thermostat isn't working properly. Get it replaced with a genuine one.

The heater matrix is generally ok on these models
dannm997
New

Post by dannm997 »

Thanks for the reply dude, I'll give diesel magic a try and new thermostat and coolant on Monday. Do you know where I would happen to get one of those scan softwares that actually works well. Even the snap on diag tool is a bit vague with it. It seems that the interior fan only kicks in at number "3" and that's when the air con works as well. Is the a fault with the climatic unit? Sorry to pester you guys on here about it. Im just far away from my garage at the moment so I can't take it apart to investigate :(
Cheers lads
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

The a/c fan problem is probably the fan speed resistor pack - I replaced mine with an ebay unit but there may be better quality ones available :)

The resistor pack is a bit of a pain if you have not done it before,it is mounted just in front of the glove box....as in this video -

https://youtu.be/fa83RVqnN0c
dannm997
New

Post by dannm997 »

On order with the rest of the bits now!! :D :D
cant wait for it all to come through, the more i drive her the more i like her. never felt like this about my other one :roll:
just need that thermostat now, the stuck open thermostat is resulting in rather bad economy through town and traffic as the engine just loses temp. but hey what can you expect, parts are super cheap and shes running good. just the little things.
once again, many thanks