Wet driver's footwell

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bennytheball
New

Wet driver's footwell

Post by Bennytheball »

Hi all,

I have a wet driver's foot well (2003 3 door) that seems to get wetter every time I drive in the rain. The water isn't coming in through the door seals or the heater matrix, I have no sunroof and the window seals etc all seem good. The water appeared between the carpet and the mat (I have now lifted the mat to help dry the carpet, but it ain't for drying!)

I don't think the water is getting in when the car is parked up, but instead when it is being driven. Are there any rubber bungs or the like on the underside of the car? It seems to be focused around where the wee plastic tab for the mat goes. I also have the driver's side front mudflap missing. Could it be getting in here and under the carpet??

Any help is welcome.

Cheers,

Benny
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Wet driver's footwell

Post by Ben90 »

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

If the mudflap is missing then the wheel arch cover is also missing 5 or so screws at the back and is likely not seated properly as a result.

I had my driver's side arch cover off yesterday and boy was there a lot of crap behind it even with all the screws intact. best bet is re-fitting a new mud flap or at least putting screws back in. It may help to go for a drive in the wet through a few puddles, come back and whip the arch liner off and see if you can find where the water is getting in. (There are about 15 torx screws dotted about, from the mudflap round to the front bumper and underneath)
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

Welcome to the water ingress nightmare!

I had a mk2 scirocco which leaked... everywhere! I had soggy rear footwells, and addressed the usual issues - boot lock seal, rear lights etc. before finding that a rear side window was leaking - the water was running behind the door card, and behind the carpet. NOTHING to see until I started stripping it down "just in case"!

As for drying it out, get hold of a wet vac. (I've got a wickes one - £40!) The sooner you do it, the less it'll stink! (you can end up with the carpet out, sound deadening dripping over the washing line and all sorts on this game!) An electric dehumidifier can be useful too, but it'll take a long time.

Good luck!
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Nobody has mention the rubber bungs at the bottom of the window underneath the plastic cover at the wiper blades where the wires go down towards the fuse box could be there or its the windscreen leaking just a few suggestions.
Bennytheball
New

Post by Bennytheball »

Thanks for the valuable input guys, I having being looking for a wet vac (i want the bissell little green bit it is v. Expensive). I will also check door rubber bungs.

I still have a damp floor, although found the rubber channel to cover the wires going to the door was loose, so water could get into the cabin there. I have also ordered a new mud flap for the driver side front. Hopefully these 2 will fix it. Failing that the carpets need to come up but I use the car everyday for work and can't get a good run at working at it.

Thanks, benny
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

I had this today greeted by a nice puddle
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Post by Adam87 »

Worth checking the scuttle panel under the wipers/windscreen as they have some drain holes in there which do eventually get blocked up and water enters through the blower fan, happened on my caddy van, floor was soaking until I cleaned the holes out. They lead to the arches where it's supposed to drain out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

Yeah had a load of crap inside the drivers side so cleared it out, will have to check other side when its not dark!
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

Damn this rain, i cleaned out the drivers side but still abit damp now after the rain. Will have to check it all when it isnt dark 24/7!! :evil:
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

what other places are there to check?

I have noticed the carpet is wet in the back aswell on the drivers side so maybe water coming in from the back? I have checked my boot and its bone dry :? :?
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

There was a bolt missing at the top of the wing on the drivers side so not sure if water was getting in there, as I had replaced the wings in the summer due to rust on arches.

I had to remove the two bung things under the carpet behind the drivers seat to release the damn water, although there is two small holes the water wasnt going anywhere!

HarryBock
New
Drives: 2002 Polo 9N S

Post by HarryBock »

Hi,
Did you ever fix your problem as I am having the same thing with mine?
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

HarryBock wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:09 pm Hi,
Did you ever fix your problem as I am having the same thing with mine?
yeah cleaned the gutters out around the top of the wings. filled with crap so draining holes all good