Polo Overheating/Fans not coming on

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Millenios
New
Drives: Polo Twist 1.2 2004

Polo Overheating/Fans not coming on

Post by Millenios »

1.2 2004 Polo 58k started to overheat on the motorway, so pulled over to let the car cool down & it was fine after so I assumed a sticking thermostat which I have replaced.
The car then overheated again when in traffic at which point I noticed the fans had failed to come on.

Replaced the Radiator fan temp switch but still have an issue fans fail to turn on.
Tried to test the fans by bridging the contacts but nothing, tested for power (on the switch connector) nothing, checked the fuses which are all ok (Air Con works fine)

As I understand there is a Fan control unit/relay, can anyone confirm/ tell me where it's mounted or have any other ideas or suggestions?

Many Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo Overheating/Fans not coming on

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that you need to do some reading/viewing using "cooling fans to running VW Golf" as a search phrase in Google. Most of what is in Golf etc is in Polo and it shows you how to check the fan(s) on both speeds etc.

Edit:- try other VAG forums, ie briskoda and seatcupra as there is plenty in these forums on Fabia and Ibiza.
Millenios
New
Drives: Polo Twist 1.2 2004

Post by Millenios »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply I have looked at so many sites, for various VAG cars & followed all the various fan testing suggestions but like I say there is no
power to the switch which is a dead end as far as the testing goes. This is why I assumed the fan control unit could be the issue.

I just can't find any information (on line, GSF, other forums or the Haynes Manual) that tells me where the control unit is.

I guess I will just have to go to a dealer to let them have a look. the car is driven by my Daughters so am concerned they may get in a muddle
if it starts to overheat.

Thanks again.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't have a 9N Polo now, but, if you do as I suggested, and look on the Skoda forum, there has been a bit of activity on this subject recently and there is a picture of the fan control assembly and its rough location on a Fabia which is really just what a Polo is with slightly fancier clothes.
OttoRamirez
New
Drives: vw polo sedan 03

Post by OttoRamirez »

hi

that module consist in a relay controller that can be controlled bay motor module or climate system.each fan has two speed and sometimes you see one of them and you think that the system is good but probably low speed isn't working.if you want pictures and more information send me an email.
next703
New
Drives: polo 2

Post by next703 »

Thanks for the useful information! I helped your advice!
Sprint Customer Service hours