Can I use VAGCOM to acces the Gamma radio code?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
janski
New
Drives: 1.2 SE 12v
Location: North Manchester......Ramsbottom.....yes, its a real place, not made up or owt!

Can I use VAGCOM to acces the Gamma radio code?

Post by janski »

Morning,

Replaced the battery and the head unit is in SAFE mode....... :?

Got access to VAGCOM and before I start messing just wondering if anyone has done this or is it possible through VAGCOM?

Cheers

j :)
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Re: Can I use VAGCOM to acces the Gamma radio code?

Post by Adam87 »

No you won't get access to radio code, maybe possible from EEPROM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

No, but its easily generated from the serial number of the radio using a freely available code calculator

Either that or call you local VW dealer
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

To add, if its the original headunit, just turn the radio on and then the ignition and itll come out of safe mode automatically.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote:No, but its easily generated from the serial number of the radio using a freely available code calculator

Either that or call you local VW dealer
Well maybe things have changed, but when I bought a used Gamma without a code, I then bought a couple of CD/DVD sets of number crunchers for every radio including VAG ones - they lied!

At least the 2002> Gammas need someone to read the code directly from the chip, then run that through a program to generate the code that you input via the buttons.

That leaves you with needing to contact your local dealer with proof of ownership for that car, and that will only work if that car still has its original radio fitted - which leads back to what Alex said, ie if that is that car is that radio's "mother" car, the radio will not come up with safe unless something is wrong.

I have a spare Gamma in the loft, if the seller could give me the VIN of the car it came out off, then I might have been able to pay VW to source the correct code, but that did not happen, all I seem to remember getting was the phone number of a place in London that could hand me over the code FOC - so I was mugged as when you think about it, if that was the case, then the seller could have included the code with the radio - but you live and learn, maybe and that was a long time ago!
janski
New
Drives: 1.2 SE 12v
Location: North Manchester......Ramsbottom.....yes, its a real place, not made up or owt!

Post by janski »

Cheers guys for the replies. Took your advice and researched a fair few other routes, all to no avail. :cry:

Only option is to take the polo to VW themselves and hand over £15 for the code.

Ah well! Convinced the misses to go for a new head unit......lots of bloody choices though. :wink:

j :)