Can non important fault codes be permanantly disabled ?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Can non important fault codes be permanantly disabled ?

Post by bvs »

On our polo we keep getting a recurrent engine management light coming on - the only fault code which is always present is 18049 (18049 - Please check DTC Memory of A/C ECU P1641 ).
My little fault code reader will not interrogate the A/C ECU.
The A/C on our car does not work (never has) but the heater works ok on hot/cold anyway so not bothered about fixing A/C (esp living in scotland :mrgreen: )

So my question is - is there any way of disabling any A/C codes causing the EML to illuminate - it is just a pain to keep having to clear the damn thing ?

rgds baz
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Can non important fault codes be permanantly disabled ?

Post by RUM4MO »

Ha Ha, yes you are correct about A/C not being essential in Scotland normally! I can't remember ever using it in my S4, used it once in my wife's new Polo, but really only to see if using it would invoke some fails. I think that you would need to remove A/C from some modules in that car and that would need you to have VCDS or get access to someone that has successfully done that.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Sorry late reply on this - I eventually realised the light was probably coming on too often to be caused by the air con code,I then realised I had forgotten how the code reader worked LOL.
There was another code stored - 16785 (EGR low flow) - so I cleaned out the EGR and so far (touch wood) it has been fine.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I hope that it was the EGR valve pipe port area at the Throttle Body that you cleaned out as that is normally where it gets clogged with tarry/oily stuff and so stops the EGR air flow.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Yep - sure did - it was a mess LOL - luckily a reasonably straightforward job.
Can that type of EGR valve be blanked easily ?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Once you have cleaned out that small pipe port, I'd reckon that you will not have any of that EGR low flow trouble for a very long time, with my wife's late 2002 Polo, it took about 85K miles and 10 or so years for that to happen - I think!