2005 polo tdi GT steering problems

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
whoppadom
New
Drives: 9N

2005 polo tdi GT steering problems

Post by whoppadom »

Hi, My problem is with the power steering on my 2005 gt which I have recently bought. I bought the car with the engine light on, and with no power steering and a few other bits that needed doing, so it was cheap for a GT. The VCDS scan came up with glow plugs (which sorted the engine light) and a G85 steering angle sensor which would hopefully sort the steering.

After doing research online i found the G85 sensor is the one which is behind the steering wheel, and is only present on vehicles which have ESP. The 2005 polo GT doesn't have ESP and this has been confirmed with a VW dealership. So its confusing as to why this is coming up as a fault when the car doesnt have a G85 sensor. The other steering sensor is called a G250 and is on the steering rack, my vehicle has one of these, and it would make sense if it was this causing the problem, but it hasnt come up as faulty on the diagnostics.

The steering is stiff when making right lock and is fine when making a left lock. My dad is now convinced there is something inside the rack blocking the flow of fluid, and it isnt an electrical fault.

Has anyone ahd a similar problem or any thoughts? Thanks Guy