9N 1.4 16v Auto - Climatic heater control not working

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

9N 1.4 16v Auto - Climatic heater control not working

Post by littlepolo »

Had an existing problem where the Climatic heater control would not operate correctly on hot or cold air settings. Basically it seemed to have a mind of its own and most of th time would blow hot or cold regardless of the setting. Turning the temp dial around and back several times would sometimes cause it to work.

Recently this manipulation of the dial seems not to work at all, and the heater blows mainly cold, but sometimes warm (but not super hot). Noticed that on a motorway run the engine temp indicator is on the second marker and not the central marker, it seems to run nearer to normal around town.

Wondering if the thermostat might need replacing?

Back to the basic problem of the heater control. Is the control mechanical (i.e. cable) or electronic? The vehicle is a 52 plate 2002 (September). What is the most likely cause of this problem? I've read something about control flaps which seems an expensive fix so hoping it might be something easier to fix.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: 9N 1.4 16v Auto - Climatic heater control not working

Post by bvs »

There is a great thread on here relating to this sort of climatic control problem...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52145

If the link does not work just google search...

Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

I had a similar problem and replaced the V68 motor,but ours used to sometimes go fully hot.

It does appear that your engine is running cold so could be thermostat or perhaps the coolant temp sensor (transmitter).
But good to check the thermostat anyway - our temp gauge is normally steady at mid scale !
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks for the reply. Difficult to tell if the A/C is working properly in winter but it certainly blows cold air. When the temp dial was working the A/C would also blow warm/hot.

I'll swap the thermostat (I've seen them for only a few Pounds on the auction site) but there is an underlying problem with the temp dial/controls, and possibly the part you mentioned.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

I was laughing earlier because we both spookily had 71 posts to our credit :)

Yes thermostat is a good starting point in the winter,in the end I splashed out for a genuine V68 motor from VW (it is a fiddly job and I did not want to do it twice LOL) KITT's guide is really good,hope you get it sorted ok.

rgds baz