VW Polo 2002 9N front grill and door lights

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
CHAMP_DANNY
New
Drives: VW POLO 2002

VW Polo 2002 9N front grill and door lights

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

Hi I have a VW polo 2002 9n, I need to get a few things sorted on my car

I need new front grills (where the fog lights would normally go) so I went on ebay to look for them and found 2005-2009 VW Polo grills, which said on the sellers description that this will still fit a 2002 polo

I just wanted to be sure if this will still fit my car?

Also on the inside of the door at the bottom the lights glass cover has broke and needs replacing, what is this little cover called as I cannot find online?

The last thing I need help with is I want to take out the cigarette lighter to put in a USB port, but the lighter won't pop out, what is the best way to go about getting this out?

Thank you
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: VW Polo 2002 9N front grill and door lights

Post by RUM4MO »

Hi, there welcome to this forum!

Right, the front grills:- if my memory serves me well, the later cars, ie 2005>2009 had different grills, so don't buy them!

Door lights:- there were two different things fitted there, very early cars possibly got reflector/lights where as later cars 2003MY, so built June/July 2002 onwards only got reflectors. I always planned to retro fit the lights to my wife's previous Polo as it was a 2003MY 2002 reg'd new car, but never got round to it, I did find out the part numbers of the bits and they were available on eBay, but never got that far!

Cigarette Lighter socket:- you will need to remove the upper section of the centre console and lift it up to see how to remove the lighter socket I'm afraid.

http://www.oemepc.com/ use this parts listing to find out what you need then at least that way, you have a part number to work on so that should avoid you buying the wrong parts, good luck!
CHAMP_DANNY
New

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

RUM4MO wrote:Hi, there welcome to this forum!

Right, the front grills:- if my memory serves me well, the later cars, ie 2005>2009 had different grills, so don't buy them!

Door lights:- there were two different things fitted there, very early cars possibly got reflector/lights where as later cars 2003MY, so built June/July 2002 onwards only got reflectors. I always planned to retro fit the lights to my wife's previous Polo as it was a 2003MY 2002 reg'd new car, but never got round to it, I did find out the part numbers of the bits and they were available on eBay, but never got that far!

Cigarette Lighter socket:- you will need to remove the upper section of the centre console and lift it up to see how to remove the lighter socket I'm afraid.

http://www.oemepc.com/ use this parts listing to find out what you need then at least that way, you have a part number to work on so that should avoid you buying the wrong parts, good luck!

HI thanks a lot for the advice I appreciate it, I won't buy the grills

My cigarette lighter is stuck in so am having trouble trying to get it out

With the door lights on my polo its a bulb and wiring

Thanks a lot All the best
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ah, ref the lighter, my mistake, I just made a wrong assumption that you were going to remove the entire socket and replace it with a USB port!

Right, now I have not smoked for maybe 36+ years, and I currently do not have an older VW with cigarette lighter in it, but, I think how they work is, initially the lighter handle is "proud" of the socket, in that state it is not being heated, when you wanted to use it you pressed it down fully and it locks in and heats, then gets ejected back up when it has been heated.

So, if you can't poke it into life and so get it to eject at the end, I'd think that there the fuse has blown or the lighter element is o/c and so not heating.

Now if you can slide something thin down the sides of that lighter you should be able to spring/drag it up and out - failing that, if you are going to bin it, why not drill into the top of it and fit a reasonable sized selftapper screw - and grab that with pliers to pull it out?
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

Danny - I got some nice door lights from Gemauto on ebay last year - he still has some listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK4-B ... 4b06a19c37

rgds baz
CHAMP_DANNY
New

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

bvs wrote:Danny - I got some nice door lights from Gemauto on ebay last year - he still has some listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK4-B ... 4b06a19c37

rgds baz
Hi thanks for the reply I'll have a look all the best