emmissions warning light

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
andy.fotheringham
New

emmissions warning light

Post by andy.fotheringham »

Hi guys - my son has been running my wife's polo for about a year now - we have had the car about 11 years in total and had all the usual faults with coil packs and lambda sensors in the past but the car has never used any oil.

Last night the engine light came on and he stopped the car. I went to investigate and for the first time ever in 11 years the car needed oil - having said this I don't think it had been checked for around 6 months so maybe the light was a blessing in disguise !

We topped it up and limped home.

Reading up it can be several things but I pulled the bonnet and noticed this hose has collapsed - can anyone advise their thoughts - the car has done just under 100 k miles - i just hope it's not terminal as it's a great little car for him - I read it could be rings although I started the car this morning and I don't see any evidence of it blowing oil.

There is what looks like an oil leak on the left hand side of the engine - but it isn't serious enough to be leaving any residue on the ground.

Our local vag independent is out of action at the moment so a recommendation in northampton appreciated

Photos to follow once I workout how to post them

Many thanks

Andy
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: emmissions warning light

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that I've seen your picture from the first link, second one does not go to your pictures for me!

Engine type, from that picture, I can see the pre and post cat Lambda sensors, the wiring of that pre cat one is bit close to the manu-cat is it not?

I could not see any collapsed pipe at all, but then I have never had a 1.2 engine - if indeed that is what this is.

I think that on one, at least version of that 1.2 engine (if it is one) can end up with badly worn valve "holes" ie as in guides, and there is not a good fix for that, that might explain why it is drinking oil.

Though you really need to get the plugs out and see what they look like, also is the exhaust pipe inner - at the end, coated in tarry carbon gunk?
andy.fotheringham
New

How does the plastic cover come off the head ? I had a pull at it but it wasn't for budging ?
No residue at the tailpipe. What is the unit which looks like a reservoir on the left of the head as you look into the engine bay - it has a torque setting written on the top

The pipe just to the right of centre has collapsed - feels like it has a heat resistant coating - what is that and where does it go ?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Right, as far as I can work out:-

1) that collapsed pipe is just some wiring that needs to pass down past the exhaust and cat, so it needs serious protection

2) to take the top cover off, you just need to pull it up, it is secured down onto four pillars that pass through/into rubber mountings in the underside of that cover. Just make sure that ease each corner up one at a time, which will mean that some end up back down on their pillars - try "rocking a corner up>down>up and eventually it will come free! What out for a pipe or two that is connected to the underside, but will allow you to raise it about 6 inches.

3) the black container thing with a (low) torque number on it will be the cover of the oil filter.

4) nothing on the exhaust, that is good.
andy.fotheringham
New

Cheers will report back
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

No progress report yet?