Wiper blade problems

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
CHAMP_DANNY
New
Drives: VW POLO 2002

Wiper blade problems

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

Hi I have a VW polo 2002 9n, I have a problem with my wiper blades front and back:

With the front the wiper blades sit to high, when I turn them off the go all the way down like they should but then then come back up a bit

How can I adjust them to sit properly?

The back wiper does not work at all, it sprays fine but the wiper does not work, I'm thinking its the motor, so is there any checks I can do to confirm this?

And if it is the motor, do I need to remove the top panel in the boot to get to it

Thank you any advice is appreciated
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Wiper blade problems

Post by RUM4MO »

I've not seen that happening with front wipers, so taking the wiper arms off and moving them will not cure this!

So, there is a park position switch built into the wiper motor and that will determine the point where the motor spindle stops at, the wiper arm linkage is fitted to that spindle, so maybe someone in the past has been in there and not done a very good job?

Rear wiper, there is always the potential for the wiring to this motor to get cut/broken within the soft rubber covering that is between the car body and the hatch - I've never had that on a Polo. Getting access to the motor and its wiring means getting that plastic panel off - and this time of year is not the best time for that as the plastics will be slightly harder due to lower temperatures and so more prone to cracking/breaking - but maybe needs must! Maybe a couple of screws, then get some big trim removal tools in and get rough with it - will feel like you are trashing it and maybe some creative repair work needed afterwards, I think that I bought some spare metal clips - typically there are 2 or 3 different lengths just to mess you up, then repaired some of their mounting points with glue and blocks of wood!!

If you do take on this job, I suggest that you leave the cover off until you have made sure that the rear washer works okay - no point in doubling up the damage inflicted to the rear cover!! BTW, the rear washer spray nozzle should remain pointing upwards, if it rotates with the wiper arm it is faulty/failed - another job to tackle!

Edit:- other sources of info about all these things will be ( http://www.briskoda.net ) ( http://www.seatcupra.net ) Fabia and Ibiza of same age sections of these forums.
Aj_cbr
New
Drives: 9N3

Post by Aj_cbr »

Hi im not too familiar with this forum and couldn't figure out how to create a post. So I hopped into this one lol... Anyways I have a polo 9n3 the windscreen washers and wipers aren't working for the front

What I've done ;
Checked fuses, ok
Replaced stalk
Replaced wiper motor
Checked plug which shows one of the wires getting 6v supply
Put it on delphi diagnostics laptop and it came out clean

Could it be the central electrics unit as It is acting a little Wierd, where pulling the stalk towards me turns on the rear wiper when it used to turn on the front one... I'm running out of ideas. If anyone could help that would be awesome! Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The wiring between the boot and the chassis has a tendency to split. Check behind the rubber boots
CHAMP_DANNY
New

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

RUM4MO wrote:I've not seen that happening with front wipers, so taking the wiper arms off and moving them will not cure this!

So, there is a park position switch built into the wiper motor and that will determine the point where the motor spindle stops at, the wiper arm linkage is fitted to that spindle, so maybe someone in the past has been in there and not done a very good job?

Rear wiper, there is always the potential for the wiring to this motor to get cut/broken within the soft rubber covering that is between the car body and the hatch - I've never had that on a Polo. Getting access to the motor and its wiring means getting that plastic panel off - and this time of year is not the best time for that as the plastics will be slightly harder due to lower temperatures and so more prone to cracking/breaking - but maybe needs must! Maybe a couple of screws, then get some big trim removal tools in and get rough with it - will feel like you are trashing it and maybe some creative repair work needed afterwards, I think that I bought some spare metal clips - typically there are 2 or 3 different lengths just to mess you up, then repaired some of their mounting points with glue and blocks of wood!!

If you do take on this job, I suggest that you leave the cover off until you have made sure that the rear washer works okay - no point in doubling up the damage inflicted to the rear cover!! BTW, the rear washer spray nozzle should remain pointing upwards, if it rotates with the wiper arm it is faulty/failed - another job to tackle!

Edit:- other sources of info about all these things will be ( http://www.briskoda.net ) ( http://www.seatcupra.net ) Fabia and Ibiza of same age sections of these forums.
Hi thanks a lot for the reply I'm going to try and sort it out today, I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks for the advice
CHAMP_DANNY
New

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

alexperkins wrote:The wiring between the boot and the chassis has a tendency to split. Check behind the rubber boots
Hi alexperkins thanks I will have a look, I went on auto data and it said on known fixes it could be wiring harness

Thanks