Windscreen wipers not working tried all basics

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Aj_cbr
New
Drives: 9N3

Windscreen wipers not working tried all basics

Post by Aj_cbr »

Hi,
Unfortunately my windscreen wipers and washer packed up the other day and would appreciate some help sorting them out.
So far I have checked the fuses which are ok
Chexk the motor off the battery which runs fine
Changed wiper stalk
Disconnected battery for 10 mins
Found 6 volts coming to one of the wires on the plug

Key points
If I move the wiper out of position it will home itself when the ignition is on.
if I pull the stalk towards me it turns on the rear wiper ( it should turn on the front wiper and washer)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Windscreen wipers not working tried all basics

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm guessing that you made sure that the replacement stalk was exactly the correct one and it was guaranteed to be working okay - you will be correct in that all these switches do nothing to directly switch things on, they just pass commands to the control module, oh bother! You say that if the front wiper is switched off mid wipe, when you switch the ignition on it parks okay, so the power is getting to it from both the switched and the permanent feeds.
CHAMP_DANNY
New
Drives: VW POLO 2002

Post by CHAMP_DANNY »

Aj_cbr wrote:Hi,
Unfortunately my windscreen wipers and washer packed up the other day and would appreciate some help sorting them out.
So far I have checked the fuses which are ok
Chexk the motor off the battery which runs fine
Changed wiper stalk
Disconnected battery for 10 mins
Found 6 volts coming to one of the wires on the plug

Key points
If I move the wiper out of position it will home itself when the ignition is on.
if I pull the stalk towards me it turns on the rear wiper ( it should turn on the front wiper and washer)
Hi I am having a similiar problem

Both front and rear washer works
Rear wiper does not work
And the front wipers sit in the wrong position

If you find out how to fix could you let me know thanks : )
Aj_cbr
New
Drives: 9N3

Post by Aj_cbr »

Finally solved it, due to the fact my wipers stopped working because I used them on an icy windscreen, it blew the fuses... However I checked the fuses as in the manual and they were all ok... Vw forgot to mention what a few fuses in the panel do so you go back to them lol.... I checked the other fuse which is linked to the wiper/washer system and that was blown changed it and it works, there are 4 fuses for the system . Not too sure how to send an image. Or else I would've sent you the picture of the fuses to check
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ah, very good, I never ever had trouble with the wipers on the 9N Polo my wife had for 13 years from new!

So VW etc still being a bit short on the info regarding fuses and their function as you have discovered, there are over 30 unlisted fuses on my wife current August 2015 Polo 1.2TFS SEL - and what does the handbook say "ask your dealer" - idiots, get it right first time!