'03 Polo 1.4. Upgrade to a later stock audio head unit?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Greendon
New
Drives: 9N

'03 Polo 1.4. Upgrade to a later stock audio head unit?

Post by Greendon »

Our 1.4 Polo is '03 reg, and the stereo is single DIN cassette. There's a rather newer one (no plates on it so I don't know how old but its the same body and interior) at the breakers with a double DIN sized CD player audio system. I'm sure it won't be plug-and-play, so does it have to be married to the car with a diagnostic computer (like the Saab) and or coded? If it does need a code, is VAG likely to tell me it based on the unit's serial number or the car's registration number?

Many Thanks - Greendon
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: '03 Polo 1.4. Upgrade to a later stock audio head unit?

Post by alexperkins »

The double din later units won't work in your polo as the early 9n models have ISO connectors instead of the later more modern quadlock
Greendon
New
Drives: 9N

Post by Greendon »

Thanks Alex for stopping me waste my time! I'll visit it anyway, to get the air con knob surround and drink holder.

Regards - Greendon
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

We have a nice Pioneer USB stereo in our 9N,has adjustable colours for the display so that it matches the dashboard lights - not bad sound and having loads of music on a mini USB stick is really handy.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The other way, if you want it to look original VW, is to remove the "tricket tray" insert and fit a VW CD player or that era, if you did that, to complete the installation to original level and fit, you would need to get hold of a support strap to support the radio/cassette and a short wiring loom (plug and play) to include the night time lighting - I'd expect that you could find all three of these parts from a VW scrappy, any one will do, from Polo, Golf, Passat where a single din radio was originally fitted.

I did that to my wife's (previous) late 2002 Polo just after we bought it, meant to do the same thing for my (previous) 2000 Passat but somehow never quite got round to that!