1.4 BBY engine noise

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

1.4 BBY engine noise

Post by littlepolo »

My Polo's engine seems a bit noisier than I remember.

It's had regular oil changes that I've usually done myself, but last time I had someone else do it. I'm wondering if they've put in a heavier oil and that is an explanation. Of course, it could be that something is worn and maybe seems louder in the colder weather.

The noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine so I'm guessing it might be tappets.

I've attached links to files with audio recordings of the noise (hopefully you can access them on clyp.it:

1) Engine idling (almost cold) - bonnet closed (recording from drivers seat with window down)

https://clyp.it/user/f1mv0p3d

2) Revving between 1000-2500rpm bonnet closed (recording from drivers seat with window down)

https://clyp.it/xfipknv0

3) Engine idling (warmed up a bit) - bonnet open recorder held near top of airbox cover

https://clyp.it/3rcuzadl

What does this sound like please?
Last edited by littlepolo on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: 1.4 BBY engine noise

Post by bvs »

I cannot get the links to open (error 404).
I don't know how cold it is at the moment where you live.
Our 1.4 usually sounds a little 'tappety' when ambient temp is low/cold - but quietens right down when the engine has warmed up a little.
I do my own oil/filter changes and usually use 5w40 synth because we occasionally do long fast motorway trips of 300 miles+.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

The audio files were not shared with public. Should be accessible now.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Thanks LP - I can now see clip 1,but clip 2 and 3 still giving error 404 !
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

One last try... you might be able to download (if not play) the clips now.

When I shared with public the URL for the second and third clip changed and I forgot to repost them

Based on what you can hear, does it sound like tappets?
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Does sound a little mechanically noisy,different to ours,ours is a little more 'tappy' when cold but pretty quiet when hot.
Is it worth doing your own oil and filter change ?
I always use good quality oil and filter (I usually use a Mann filter so I know what size the 'nut' is on the filter,they seem to vary with brand :))
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

bvs wrote:Does sound a little mechanically noisy,different to ours,ours is a little more 'tappy' when cold but pretty quiet when hot.
Is it worth doing your own oil and filter change ?
I always use good quality oil and filter (I usually use a Mann filter so I know what size the 'nut' is on the filter,they seem to vary with brand :))
The reason I do the oil change is so I know exactly what oil goes in and I can ensure a quality filter is used.

Have just flushed using Comma, changed the oil (Mobil), and filter (Mann).

It is still the same noise as in the audio files above.

Can anyone confirm what the noise is and if I can do anything about it (e.g. replace parts, etc.)?
colingZA
New
Drives: 53 plate Polo 9n

Post by colingZA »

Hey Littlepolo,

I've just bought a 9N, also a 1.4 BBY and it has a similar ticking sound, specially when cold.

Are you any closer to getting to the bottom of it? I'm tempted to buy a set of ramps and see if there is something loose that is vibrating underneath the bonnet...

Thanks,

Colin
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I think the answer is they all do it.

Likely to be tappets. Assuming you have changed the oil and filter regularly?

Depending on mileage you could switch to a heaver oil. I found Fuchs 5W40 to be the best.

I have a new low mileage engine I intend to swap out when the weather is fine.
colingZA
New
Drives: 53 plate Polo 9n

Post by colingZA »

Thanks LP!

As I've only just bought the car (91,000 miles on the clock) I want to give it a full "wet service"; Any thing that is a liquid or lubricant will be drained and replenished. So I'm thankful for the recommendation on the Fuchs 5W40.

As for annual mileage, the car will have an easier time of it, just 6K annually.

C.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Make sure you use an quality filter with anti-drain-back valve.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe just use VWG oil filters, that is what I've always done, well as soon as I started to buy newish cars, prior to that Fram (from Asda in the day) seemed good enough. I've run a 2002 Polo with BBY for 13 years and 105K miles and always, after the in warranty dealer service, used VWG oil filters and eventually Fuch 5W-40 oil after Quantum just got too expensive and was said to be getting supplied by Fuchs, as is Unipart - but when asked Fuch UK sales rep would not go into if Unipart, Quantum and Fuchs of a certain equal quality, used the same "mix of goodies" - probably for obvious reasons. In the day, Fuchs Super Syn SL 5W-40 was my oil of choice, now running a 2011 S4 and other VWG newer cars I seem to have drifted across to Mobil One ESP 5W-30!

I used to add Comma Petrol Flush to that Polo a week before it got serviced so that it had that running around the system for 100+miles prior to dropping the oil. I have chosen to use that "softer" approach to engine flushing rather than loading in the "harder rougher" ones that you only run through for 5 or 10 minutes.

With a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza, I think that I only add Comma Petrol Flush every other year 100 miles or a week before servicing.

Cooling system:- why are you considering replacing the coolant? If it is pinkish/purpleish it will be G12 which is a long life VWG thing, also when last was the cambelt bits replaced, that really should get done every 4 years or 40>60K miles which ever happens first and include a new water pump in that job, which leads to getting the coolant replaced - which is why I am asking when did it last get its cambelt stuff replaced and did that include the water pump.

Brake fluid should be at 3 years then every 2 years, I've always just bought VWG brake fluid.

When was the air cleaner last replaced and also the spark plugs, I always bought VWG on line or the same from NGK on line without the VWG markings.
coopern
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 BUD 9N3 petrol manual

Post by coopern »

I've had four low-end petrol vw cars, i don't think the engines are particularly quiet or refined, like bmw or audi. Mine all sounded like diesels when cold but were fairly quiet when hot. You would expect increased tappet noise with high mileage, normal. The engines and tappets seem good for over 100k miles even if they are noisy.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

From my experience, when you guys move onto newer VWG cars with more modern engines, things might not get any better as most of these newer engines are noisy at cold start but quieten down once warmed up.
The older, ie 2000 VW Passat 4Motion with an Audi 2.8 V6 petrol engine I ran for 13 years was extremely quiet from starting cold to hot, this is the noise apparent when opening the bonnet - whereas the 2011 Audi S4 with an Audi 3.0 Supercharged V6 petrol engine is never that quiet cold or hot at tick over.