Can't get first gear / remote alarm goes off / engine light

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Ejts
New
Drives: 52 1.2 petrol

Can't get first gear / remote alarm goes off / engine light

Post by Ejts »

Hi guys,

I can't engage first gear after grinding (I think from 2nd to 3rd). It's happened once or twice before and I've just had to persuade it but this time it's being stubborn which isn't great as I drive 20 miles in traffic two times a day. What's my best bet in terms of getting this fixed without spending too much as I'm planning on selling it?

On another note, my alarm goes off any time between immediately and a few hours later after I lock it with the remote key. It started all of a sudden for no apparent reason nearly a year ago. It's not a flat battery as I've charged that but the problem persists so I've resulted in locking it by leaning in through the passenger side and pressing the button on the driver's door (which is a ball ache really). It may or may not be worth noting but at the same time my indicators stopped flashing when I locked it remotely (they still flash when I unlock it remotely).

Lastly I've had a yellow engine management light on my dashboard for ages. I took it to a garage a couple of times, they changed a couple sensors in the exhaust system on seperate occasions but they can't seem to find the problem. I've recently had the mid and rear end of my exhaust system replaced as it was also blowing and I'd hoped that would get rid of the warning light but low and behold it's still there.

Any help on any of these issues would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

El
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: Can't get first gear / remote alarm goes off / engine light

Post by bvs »

Hi El
I cannot help with the alarm or gbox.
Our polo was plagued with engine management light on and off for 6 months or so.You really need to read the fault codes to get an idea of the problem.
I bought on of these cheap U281 code readers from ebay....

It plugs in to the OBD port just above the pedals (just under the dash tray)

Helped me diagnose (amongst others) a dodgy Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS) and a clogged EGR valve (eventually cleaned/cleared by me).
Ejts
New

Post by Ejts »

Hi bvs,

Thanks for the help I'll give that a shot.

El
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Alarm is quite possibly a faulty door lock that's not registering that it's closed properly
Ejts
New

Post by Ejts »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that to test this you see if the interior light turns on and off with each door (incl. the boot) and it did so I'm guessing its not that?
I've also tested the interior motion sensor - its not that. The only thing I can think of now is the tilt sensor but I'm not even sure my car has one.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The interior sensor, did you test that by switching it off, ie, before shutting the driver's door, after opening the car and getting out, press the switch in the B pillar, close door and lock - interior sensor circuit has been deactivated.

Your theory on the operation of the interior light is correct.

Edit:- I think that you are correct about the tilt sensor - ie not being fitted - if there was one, there would be a procedure for disabling it to allow for towing and probably for use in ferries as well.

Another Edit:- there is a scan tool called VCDS that quite a few keen DIYers have bought and someone with that scan tool might be local to you. You could either request help (for some small reward) from anyone local to you on this forum, or join a group that includes VCDS users and request help that way. VCDS is able to scan all that cars smart controllers, and the central locking and alarm functions are included, so it might just point you in the right direction as to where the problem lies.
Ejts
New

Post by Ejts »

Hi Rum,

Thanks for your help, I'll re-test the interior sensor using your steps as I only tested it once and its likely I didn't do it right anyway. My neighbour might have one of those tools as he has something for everything lol.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Another thought, I've only ever had car alarm issues once, and that when I had a 1991 VW Cav GSI 4X4, I worked out that it was due to the battery getting past its best linked to probably a crappy alarm design. These alarms, not the interior monitoring part, but the main part of the alarm system work by voltage drops, if the system sees a sudden step change in the battery voltage, it could be setting the alarm off, now your car has the equivalent to todays Body Control Module - in your cars case this function is built into the comfort/convenience module, its job, when the car is out of use, is to shut down all unnecessary power supplies - really to avoid the battery from discharging too quickly - this is why, if you leave a car door open, initially the interior light(s) will be on, after some time it will go off as the BCM has shut down its power source. Now, if your battery is getting on in years, it might be playing silly beggers as it settles down with no alternator to charge it - just a thought, you would need to borrow/replace that battery to put that theory to the test.

Yet another random thought, I think that some if not all VW group cars (and others) have a rechargeable battery built into the alarm or its sounder assembly, with time that rechargeable battery will fail and start to lose its charge quickly after the car is stopped, I've never had an issue with that on my VW group cars, and only ever read about it on an Audi forum - as it caused a couple of people problems which they solved by hacking the sounder assembly open, removing the duff battery and replacing using an externally mounted battery sourced from Maplin - instead of throwing money at a new sounder from VW group. This, due to the absence of any other people reporting this on Polo/Ibiza/Fabia forums is a complete outside suggestion!
Ejts
New

Post by Ejts »

Hi Rum,

When I charged the battery I did so for the best part of 48 hours and it charged sufficiently but not completely so I'd agree, its getting on a bit. My car turns 16 this year and its probably the original battery. Given that I'd charged the battery, I had ruled it out as not being the problem but I think your suggestion would be worth a shot.

In regards to your second thought, is it a separate battery on the alarm system circuit and is it an easy job (ie would I be able to do it)?

Thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ordinarily the built in battery doesn't fail on the polos. It's a long life sealed lead acid battery which should normally last the life of the car
Ejts
New

Post by Ejts »

Alex,

The battery was telling me it had a low charge (likely due to my habit of playing music with engine off) when I checked it around the time the problem with the alarm occurred and on a separate occasion my alternator belt shredded while I was driving. Could these factors have affected the reliability or longevity of my battery which would lead it to be the source of the problem?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I would consider getting a new battery for the car. It sounds tired.
Ejts
New

Post by Ejts »

Cheers, I'll look into it