No Indicators

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Polod
New
Drives: Polo 1.2E

No Indicators

Post by Polod »

Hi there folks.

So here we go... my mothers Polo has developed an issue with it's indicators. The hazards work fine, both front and rear with a good loud click from the switch, suggesting the relay (which I understand is part of the switch) is working fine for hazards. However, when using the indicator stalk to select left or right - nothing. No indicators light up front or rear, left or right. And no clicking sound from the switch.

The stalk seems to work fine for the parking lights, again both good front and rear, left and right. Wipers and headlights also work fine too.

The interesting thing is that if the indicator stalk is used to turn on the parking light first, then the ignition is turned on full li.e. car started), the indicator works. For about three clicks, then it stops...

Now, the car has been to a local garage who have replaced the steering column switch unit, and the hazard switch/relay unit. After this, they've drawn a blank and recommend taking it to Volkswagen for more diagnostics, thinking it is possibly the body control unit.

A point to consider is that the car sat for nearly a month and a half as my mother broke her arm, and so needed to be jump started, with a new battery eventually fitted too. I'm beginning to wonder if the jump start may have fried something?

Anyway, bring forth the comments, suggestions and ideas. What might it be? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: No Indicators

Post by RUM4MO »

It does seem to point to the module that actually switches indicators when they are being used as indicators. I'm not sure how much or what exactly a VW garage would do before committing themselves to replace that expensive module and code it to that car, I do know that when I gave up on a late 2009 Ibiza, the SEAT dealer just picked an expensive module and replaced, and the fault returned a month later.

Doing nothing will not sort this though, maybe put out a call for a fellow member near you who has VCDS to scan that car before taking this any further.

Edit:- it is a bit confusing that the "lane changing" indicator function is working if you switch the ignition on which the indicator lever is up/down as in side light mode, very strange, I'd still try for getting someone to run VCDS on that car.