problems starting

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
marshall10488
New
Drives: 2002 1.4 TDI

problems starting

Post by marshall10488 »

So have had issues recently starting my 9N. The starter turns but the engine just wont fire. If i leave the batter disconnected during the day it works when i try to start but if i leave it on it will not. Have put the batter on charge after that and it was not empty. I think it might be the immobiliser. I only have the standard key (not remote fob) but it has a small plastic circle inside the bottom of the key. Has anyone got any ideas how to sort this out?

Thanks
Ben
dylanstevens1121
New
Drives: 2004 Polo Twist 9N 1.4 16V

Re: problems starting

Post by dylanstevens1121 »

I had the same sounding problem, I simply changed the fuel filter and all was good! I think it was clogged so no fuel was getting to the engine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
marshall10488
New
Drives: 2002 1.4 TDI

Post by marshall10488 »

dylanstevens1121 wrote:I had the same sounding problem, I simply changed the fuel filter and all was good! I think it was clogged so no fuel was getting to the engine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I originally thought that until we attached jump cables and it started straight away and found disconnecting the battery for a long time also helped it start straight off. That why i think it is the immobiliser. Spoke with someone that said the VW immobiliser can be reset by leaving the battery disconnected or putting a larger voltage through the system (jump cables).

Any other ideas? might change the fuel filter anyway as i dont think it will hurt.

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Someone having a problem like that would be well advised to buy a scan tool, then you could log/write down what you see when things are okay - and so you would be able find out what is not happening wrt the immobiliser when things are "bad".

Thinking out of the/a box:- this is not the start of a problem with cracked/dry solder joints on your dash pod? (daring/outrageous thoughts!)

Edit:- I'm meaning in particular, the leads from the transponder reader that is located beside the ignition switch and gets connected up to the dash pod, its job is to read the key and disable the immobiliser. Lots of that sort of thing in Fabia/Polo/Ibiza of that age.