Old Timers Tip

Detailing & Bodywork
jazzypolo
Bronze Member
Location: Burwash, East Sussex. Nice Little Village, Miles from Anywhere.

Old Timers Tip

Post by jazzypolo »

For Those People That Can't Be Asked/Bothered or Haven't Got The Time To Wash Their Car Every Week.

While I was putting the final bit of polish on my car today, the old boy over the road came across and said how good it was looking.
After a bit of Polo chat (he's got a Mk2 that he's owned for Donkeys years), I told him that his car looked pretty shiny too and that he probably had loads of time to wash it.
Not at all he says, I only wash it every 2 or 3 months. The way to keep it clean is to nip out after a drop of rain and run a chamois over it.

You don't need a hosepipe/bucket or sponge, just rely on nature.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Make sure it's not too dirty though, I wouldn't try it on sandy spots (like the lower part of the doors) to avoid hazing or scratches.

8)
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

That way is guaranteed to scratch your car!

Think of it, the rain falls from above onto your car, then you rub road grim, and dust and dirt etc with dirty, maybe even acidy rain.

That's why when you wash your car you should hose it first to get rid of those little bits THEN wash it with car wash (not washing up liquid, it'll take off your polish)!

It's SO easy to get swill marks and just wiping it over with dirty rain water, jet washing it, or automatic car washing it are no-no's for me. The ONLY time I ever jet wash something is when the wheel arch liners are very dirty, even then it’s on a soft setting.

Each to their own I guess, but that's my 2p worth!
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Yep I totally agree - pressure washers are great for patios, not so great for cars
jazzypolo
Bronze Member
Location: Burwash, East Sussex. Nice Little Village, Miles from Anywhere.

Post by jazzypolo »

Ok Guys/Gals. Was a bit of a crazy post on a forum for people that care about their cars.

Guess I should have posted it on Bangers R Us

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)