ooh, -= wierd =-

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

ooh, -= wierd =-

Post by Tahrey1043 »

hehe, ok, is this another sign of the box being generally shagged out, or something else?

with the car jacked up, i needed to rotate the wheels to get access to each paired set of driveshaft bolts (joined by that little metal thing, y'ken?).. noticed they were both pretty stiff from rusty-surface discs rubbing on pads. decided to run the motor a while and let them spin in 1st or 2nd with some light pressure on brake pedal to scrub off the worst of it...

well, that worked alright, but something odd happened. they continued to turn in neutral. only about half the speed of 1st gear, but a definate turn with a little bit of power behind it (had to give it some good trainer friction to stop the free-running wheel, with one of them chocked), and it changed speed with the engine - or at least, to a point.. it sped up as i revved the motor, but even up to 4500-5000rpm there was no shift of the speedo needle.

putting clutch down stopped it, but it began again with it up, and after engine stop/restart. didn't matter which gear i'd been in or where i moved the stick when out of gear. it even continued whilst selecting reverse, right up to the point where the gear was grinding badly without clutch. (and, in reverse, there seemed to be a bit more strain on the engine than in 1st)

what's going on here? strikes me as a bit dangerous! there shouldn't be any power being transmitted between the input and output shafts in neutral, surely? even a teeny bit like that... (would have no hope of my foot stopping it even in 4th, when fully engaged)
minis84
Bronze Member

Post by minis84 »

I know this is a very late reply - all it'll be is the friction of the oil - nothing to worry about.
omicron
Gold Member

Post by omicron »

Most cars do it, don't worry about it.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

i dunno, its strange, and it never did that on previous occasions, and it did it later when i had the box off too and turning the shaft by hand (far slower than the engine would have, but made quite serious revolutions of the diff)

the new 5 speed doesnt do it in the slightest