Cleaning instrument cluster!!

Detailing & Bodywork
Nelson_Wilbury

Cleaning instrument cluster!!

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Don't suppose anyone has a fix for this...

I remember once cleaning the clear plastic on my (pre chrome) instrument cluster once and afterwoods it being full of tiny scratches.
Anyway, I;ve just been to fix a dash creak on my 9n and where I've had my fingers on the dashboard its full of small scratches.

Anyone know any way to get rid of this. I know Mr Sheen etc are no good (as I found out on my old instrument cluster.) If anyone has any Ideas I still have my old cluster at home so I can do a couple of 'tests' on that.

This is one thing that annoys me though, my instrument cluster sometimes has a film of dust on it and i'm scared to clean it off for scratching it even more!

Cheers,

Neil
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Can't help with removing existing scratches, but I use a damp soft cloth to wipe dust from mine to avoid scratching it even more :lol: Seems to work :lol:

Oh and why didn't you tell me you've still got your old cluster! Find out which wire is for the front fog warning light :wink:

Mole
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Just found an answer on the web :)

PLASTIC INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS &WINDOWS: Plastic is subject to scratching mush easier than any glass and most tinted window films. To clean these surfaces, use a soft towel. Spray a plastic cleaner and wipe gently. Plastic cleaners are designed not to scratch this soft type of material.

I'll give that a go then.

@ Mole, batteries have just run out on camera, I'll post a pic on the 9n forum later :)
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Use a swifer cloth on the cluster the whole dash the whole interior. I've said this many times :roll:

DO NOT use any cleaning products for interior plastics - it ruins the finish.
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

When you say instrument cluster, do you mean the dash or the actual plastic that protects the rev counter, speedo etc?

If it's the latter, then use the same solution and super soft cloth (micro fibre) as they use on glasses. I've always found that brilliant stuff.

If you want to remove those annoying little scratches, tryImage

For the rest of the dash I vacuum off the dust with the brush attachment, and wipe down with a soft damp cloth.