Spark Plug Gaps 1.3 CL

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
gad
New

Spark Plug Gaps 1.3 CL

Post by gad »

Hello all. You've been pretty helpful in the past so I'll give you a try on this one. My 1.3 CL's running a little rough so I think its time for a good service. First port of call is spark plugs. Can anybody tell me what I need to gap the new ones to?

While I'm at it, I was going to spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body. Is it just a case of spray anything you can see or is there some technique to it?

One last thing, anybody know the approx oil capacity of the engine (1.3)?

I really should buy a Haynes manual!
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

depending on what type of plugs you get, you may find that theyre already correctly gapped. The original plugs (Bosch W7DTC) have three earth electrodes and cant be adjusted. Some people prefer to use W7DCs instead, which again are already gapped at 0.8-0.9mm when you buy them.
yolmol
Bronze Member
Drives: fISH

Post by yolmol »

if you buy the right plugs for the car then they should already be at the right gap.

In saying that, when i put mine in, ( i cant remember where it was or who it was) they ended up checking the gap and it was WELL out

Look on the side of the box and it should say, from memory i think it should be 0.8mm? (sorry if thats wrong lol)
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Single contact plugs can be gapped and should be 0.8mm. The tripple contact ones can't be done that easily, but are easy to see by eye if they are near enough.
yolmol
Bronze Member
Drives: fISH

Post by yolmol »

lol :lol:

ive just seen that post and noticed it makes me look as though i dont even fit my own spark plugs... i DO hehe, just someone was with me and decided to check the gap for some unknown reason before they went

Has anyone tried playing with the gap on the plugs before?