rear brake calipers

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Dan_B
New

rear brake calipers

Post by Dan_B »

i've just brought some front and rear disk and brake pads from VW.

while fitting them the front went on fine with no probles. the problem i'm getting is on the rear caliper. the part that pushes the brake pads onto the disk won't move back to clear enough room to get around the new pads.

the hand brake isn't on, i've tried bleading the calipers, and disconecting the handbrake cable. it just doesn't seem to want to move!

has anyone else come across this problem before? and how do i solve it?
Del_GTi
Gold Member

Post by Del_GTi »

Do you mean the piston mate?

You need to try turning it as ur pushing it in. When the VW Assistance guy changed my rear pads after they fell apart he used a set of long nose pliers to turn the piston.

8)
Dan_B
New

Post by Dan_B »

yeah thats the one, i could think of the name lol.

that might work, i hope its not as easy as that. i was using a crowbar to try and push it back it.
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

As said the piston needs wound in like a screw. You can get a piston wind back tool from halfords, works a treat.
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

The secret is to apply pressure to the piston as it is being wound back in. You will be able to get the tool from a local motor factors for much cheaper than Halfrauds
Dangerous Dave
Silver Member

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The tool was £6.99 from halfords never really looked anywhere else didn't think it cost too much.