diagnosis...yup you guessed it gearbox

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

diagnosis...yup you guessed it gearbox

Post by Luke'sGti »

hi guys, just thought you may want to add me to the vw polo gti faulty gearbox owners club ha ha.

Just so you guys can look/listen out for the problem when it occurs to you. I took my car in to be looked at because it sounded like a plane. When it was in gear and i wasn't accelerating it makes a strange whearing sound, like the engine of a plane. Which was later diagnosed to be that my gearbox bearings were goosed. They said that i may as well run the car till the gearbox goes completely, then get it re-furbished. Total price = £375 + 3 hours labour + VAT. :(

At least it should be fine once it has been replaced. It's just not the nicest suprise a month before x-mas and after just spending £650 on it last month. The joys of being a polo gti owner i guess. :roll:
clees
Bronze Member

Post by clees »

I know what your going through!! Sorry to hear that!
CalvinGTI
Sponsor

Post by CalvinGTI »

Think mines doing the same, does yours make an awful racket when you fully depress the clutch inbetween changing gears, or just when your driving in gear Luke ?

im hoping mine is clutch rather than gearbox !!! haha

Cal
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

calvin - that is exactly what is happening. The whining sound is much worse when the clutch is pressed in. However i have been told that it will not cause any other damage to any other part of the car when the gearbox goes. So you may as well run it, until it goes pop (thats what i plan on doing anyway) But i'd also brace yourself for a hefty refurb bill, and labour charges - i'm budgeting for £700 just to be on the safe side. :(
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

Only thing is tho, when it goes pop youll be stranded.

Youll need to get your car home, and then youll need to get it to a garage.
samuel090180
Bronze Member

Post by samuel090180 »

DubGTI wrote:Only thing is tho, when it goes pop youll be stranded.

Youll need to get your car home, and then youll need to get it to a garage.
I agree...
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

as it happens, my clutch is buggered. it still drives just makes a grinding sound. im taking it up to my cousin whos a mechanic and from wat i told him he thinks its the clutch. clutch or gear box, dont bother me, i can get it fixed by my cousin for a fraction of the cost it would cost if i went to a garage down here. my sister had a new gear box and clutch in her car and she got it done by my cousin and he only charged her £150 for the clutch the gear box and to fit them. so i dont mind if i need new clutch and gear box.....

god its good to know people......
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

thats true guys - it will leave me stranded, but i've got good breakdown cover, so i'll just get it towed to Dubsport to fix. :roll:

They said that it is impossible to guess when it will go though - the gearbox could go tomorrow, or last for another 2 years, so there is no point in getting it done until it goes pop, especially whilst i have good b/down cover
J-GTi
Bronze Member

Post by J-GTi »

Well I'm guessing that it depends on how long you could live with the noise from the box?
DubGTI
Bronze Member

Post by DubGTI »

Luke'sGti wrote:thats true guys - it will leave me stranded, but i've got good breakdown cover
Ahh well thats half the problem solved but your gonna have to book your car in to be fixed, so how are you gonna get it there ?
Luke'sGti
Silver Member

Post by Luke'sGti »

i'll just leave it outside their place and get a taxi back if they are closed - not a major issue anyway, it's not like someone is going to drive away with it if the gearbox is goosed :lol: