Really Poor MPG on Polo Gt TDI?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
rubber
New

Really Poor MPG on Polo Gt TDI?

Post by rubber »

hi guys,

My polo GT I have recently purchased has got really poor mpg, im only getting 250 miles to a full tank. My 2003 polo 1.9 tdi sport which is remapped was getting 370-380 miles on exactly the same commute to work. I know its cold outside but last week when I was driving the polo sport it was also cold and I still got 370-380.
Im not driving the GT any harder. Even the trip computer shows my average MPG as 27 which I think is rubbish.
Even when I brim the tank full the computer says my max fuel range is 290 miles?
The polo sport always states 400.

Is sometihng up with the polo gt? mileage is 34000 and it was serviced at vw two weeks ago
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

I'd say yes. something needs to be looked at.
Slimbo9n
New

Post by Slimbo9n »

hi pal i have the same problem with mine. ful tank im getting about 220 -250 and mines not a gt. i plug mine in at work and its got a coolent temp sensor fault so its tellin the car its cold when its not ie usein more fuel. there about 20 quid from vw. as soon as i do mine ill let u no if it changes. p.s this doesnt put the management light on so u dont no unless u plug it in
DAZZA_TDI
Silver Member

Post by DAZZA_TDI »

Definately get it checked out rubber as i usually get nearly 400 mile from a full tank in my gt which is remapped and usually get between 45-55mpg which i think is great :)
Dazza
Gra-GT
Gold Member

Post by Gra-GT »

Definetely doesn't sound right to me either mate. I usually get about 50-52mpg average out of my GT, which is mostly motorway, which is around 380-420 miles to a tank.

When you say you are filling the tank, how much does it cost you roughly. When the fuel filler 'clicks off', do you vent the tank with the little button inside the hole, or do you stop then, cos I can get another £3 to £5 in by doing that? :wink:
rubber
New

Post by rubber »

i fill the tank completely. i wait for the click then vent the tank and then stick a few more poinds in.

The temperature gauge always sits at 90c when the car is warmed up. heaters work fine.
ive taken it to vw already once and they said cant seen any problems and low mpg is due to it being cold, but surely if its that cold the other polo should also suffer?

any ideas
david burton

Post by david burton »

yeah that sort of MPG is too low even for cold weather - mine drops by 10 or 15 % at most.
DanDiesel
Sponsor

Post by DanDiesel »

definately a problem there me thinks, even when its cold, you shouldn't be getting that sort of MPG!
I have an ibiza with the same engine and in this current weather, driving carefully around the town sees 40+ MPG!
chris4500uk
Bronze Member

Post by chris4500uk »

Leave the battery disconnected for a few hours and see if you notice a difference, should reset the ECU
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

chris4500uk wrote:Leave the battery disconnected for a few hours and see if you notice a difference, should reset the ECU
no dont do this it will do nothing

you need it plugged in to a diagnostic computer. i can garentie it will the temp sender .
basicaly its telling the ecu its cold and adjusting the fuel to suit.
if you have access to a diagnostic computer eg vag-com go to engine > measure blocks > 01 and it will tell the actual temp of the engine and then roughly compair with temp gauge on your clocks.
also check faults in engine . replace temp sender . and then delete faults

if you have any probs please feel free to pm me and if you not too far away i could sort it for you ..
cheers matt
rubber
New

Post by rubber »

update:

was booked in at VW today, basically was told cant see any faults.
Must be my drivinig style, told them that used to regularly get 370miles to a tank on my other polo but they said the polo GT is fine.
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

rubber wrote:update:

was booked in at VW today, basically was told cant see any faults.
Must be my drivinig style, told them that used to regularly get 370miles to a tank on my other polo but they said the polo GT is fine.
lol i worked at a main dealer i know how they operate lol bet they just scaned it and deleted faults becouse the mechanics wont earn money on jobs like that. thats what bonus systems do to this trade
david burton

Post by david burton »

well you can prove this one way or another - get on a motorway and cruise in between the lorries at 56mph for 5 minutes. see what it records over this time. make sure it's flat.

you should see 60+ mpg.