Car Trouble

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

take off your air box

the throttle body is the metal circle on the right that opens with a butterfly valve

spray carb cleaner on a cloth and wipe it and spray carb cleaner in the guts of it

if you reach round the back you can find the cable which opens and closes the throttle body, makes it easier to clean
D-Dub
Bronze Member

Post by D-Dub »

Right ok, ive got a bmc filter so should i just be able to see it? I'm a bit of a retard when it comes to under the bonnet stuff :oops:
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

ah right well you'll have to take it off, the 90 degree bend on the right of the bmc connects the bmc to the throttle body, so when u take the 90 degree bend off you can see it
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

cjwardy wrote:yeah i think it's something we'll have to put up with.
But it can be really annoying when it looks like you're bunny hopping your car down the road...grrrr!
Yeah it looks total silly! Mine doesn't show any signs of cutting out though so thats ok
craggyh
New

Post by craggyh »

Ry` wrote:
craggyh wrote:Mines the same. On start up it sometimes wants to cut out so I switch ignition off and restart. Its fine then. Got it on computer and a common fault is a sporadic camshaft impulse sensor. Signs of this are misfires, higher fuel consumption and starting problems. £32.00 from VW only.
Mine does this!

Looks like a trip to VW.

Mine also jerks when its running between 1000RPM & 2000RPM in 2nd.
It does the jerking thing too. I thought it was my driving but am glad it isnt.
Bryony84
Sponsor

Post by Bryony84 »

Mine does that a bit, thought it was just me getting used to driving a new car! Feel a bit better knowing it happens to a lot of people!!
vr6south
Silver Member

Post by vr6south »

craggyh wrote:Mines the same. On start up it sometimes wants to cut out so I switch ignition off and restart. Its fine then. Got it on computer and a common fault is a sporadic camshaft impulse sensor. Signs of this are misfires, higher fuel consumption and starting problems. £32.00 from VW only.
That plus a new set of leads worked for me. It took the local garage ages to find the fault though.
Minx
Getting There!

Post by Minx »

Mine does it only when the car isn't warmed up properly.. are your cars doing this all the time or just on first start up?
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

[/quote]Ah ok then, where is the throttle body, how do you get it off and how do you clean it? :D[/quote]

throttle body is on inlet manifold.
- remove plastic trim from top of rocker cover (4 5mm allen head bolts)
- remove air box think its a few 10mm bolts and lift off u will see the throttle body
- 4 5mm allen bolts hold throttle body to inlet manifold
- remove throttle body and clean the venturi with brake/clutch/carb cleaner. on removal you will probaly see the venturi is cver in thick black gooey stuf this has to be removed so its so clean u can eat you dinner off it.
- refit everthing not forgetting cranck case breather pipes etc etc
- with diagnostic software ie vag-com go in to engine and clear faults.
run engine so engine is 80 degrees or over turn off and turn ignition back on and with vag-com
go in to engine> basic settings> either 060, 098 (one or the other will only work)
and this will say u adpt and then adpt ok

or come see me if not too far away i will do it all for £30