Is my polo dying?

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
nikz
Bronze Member

Is my polo dying?

Post by nikz »

Ok just got back from trying to start the car. Hit the immobiliser button, get into the car, turn the key, all the little lights on the dash come up. but then as i turn they key more for the engine to start, it kinda whirrs abit while i leave the key in that position, but just wont start, so then instead i have to flick the keyback and the car cuts out. It cant be the battery as i had that replaced about two weeks ago, and my car has about a half tank of petrol. Any ideas on what it may be? and mostly, how expensive it will be to fix it? :(
madmatt

Post by madmatt »

1. does the wirring of the engine sound slow ?
2. does the dash lights alter any ie go dim on cranking?
3. have you checked the battery terminals are tight on the poles of the battery?
4. when cranking position this wiiring noise does it just come from behind the engine at the starter motor and is it like super fast or do you know if its turning the engine?
nikz
Bronze Member

Post by nikz »

Madmatt, thanks so much for your help. But ended up taking it to the garage today, said it was the "points" of which three needed replacing. I really wish i was good with cars, think i may just pick up one of those haynes manuals and learn it off by heart! Thanks alot for the help again though mate.