the dreaded 80k

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
polo_gti21
Silver Member

the dreaded 80k

Post by polo_gti21 »

well ive hit the 80k and guess what bye bye gear box :roll: noticed a slight noise but not a whine a few weeks back which i thought ok maybe the clutch needs to be replaced as it was slipping abit so i got the clutch changed and a bearing changed on the end of the gearbox as my mechanic thought it maybe that making the noise as it wasnt whining plus got the 2 front wheel bearings while its in as they where making a noise, i got the car back and all sounded good for 2 miles then the noise returned but much worse so back to the garage to sort out a gearbox which i thought great 3weeks before my holiday and this happens get ready to pay the earth for a new gearbox, but to my surprise he told me to get my box uprated and recon'd and refitted it was gonna cost £550 which i think is a decent price for whats involved but on the down side i had just paid £520 for clutch kit,2 front wheel bearings, bearing for the gearbox,and all the front bushes replaced.

i picked up the car monday and took it on a road trip from west london to east london through jam city then back round the M25 yesterday and all sweet no noises runs better than when i first got the car and its made me not want to sell up as its such a fun car when everything is running as it should.
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

So ur just waiting til summin else goes wrong now lol! I hate the waiting game on the polos!
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

thats the main problem, it is a waiting game....

im soooo glad i dont have gearbox issues anymore!
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

yeah im waiting tom but at least if the box or anything ive had done goes is covered by a warranty but sods law it will be something else lol
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

Its always summin else! ha"
pologti76
Bronze Member

Post by pologti76 »

where did you get your box done mate as thats a good price and mine needs doing im not bothered about travelling
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

im not sure where the garage sent it mate but i know its close to heathrow airport and im not sure if non-trade customers will get that price.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

That is a decent price, just a shame you had to pay it twice with the clutch the first time!
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

it was a matter of trail and error as it didnt sound like the gearbox was kaput because there wasn't any whinning but the clutch needed to be done as it was nackered but thats polos for ya full of surprises lol.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh, unfortunately I was a victim to the trail error method also. Had to fork out for the clutch twice. Going to the garage that fitted the first tomorrow though to talk about a refund.,
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

hope all goes well for ya mate
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

Yikes im 89000 on the original gearbox! fingers crossed
polo_gti21
Silver Member

Post by polo_gti21 »

lol mine was fine till now im going through a bad patch and everything is going wrong for me at this moment of time hope it passes quick as im running out of money lol
one_must_fall
Bronze Member

Post by one_must_fall »

Any second hand car carries a risk.