Wellers on a 6n.. help needed,is this your weller clad polo?

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
Rupie
Bronze Member

Wellers on a 6n.. help needed,is this your weller clad polo?

Post by Rupie »

does anyone now what the ET is on standard polo wheels/alloys? what kind of ET can you go down to before you start running into problems?
the wheels i really want have an offset(ET) of -10.. is this going to stick out of the arches really badly? ive seen a mk4 polo with the same wheels in the same width on and it didnt look too bad...
Last edited by Rupie on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

just managed to answer some of my own questions by actually looking at my wheels... aparantly the are 6j with an offset of 43.
according to:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
the wheels that i want, weller steelies will stick a whopping 78mm further out of the arches... is this the case?

This seems abit weird as there is a blue 5 door 6n polo ive seen in Performance VW and that was up for sale on pistonheads a while ago that insprired me to get these wheels, and they deffinitly wernt 78mm out of his arches... :?

Any help anyone could give me would be awesome, or if anyone knows which polo im talking about and could put me in touch with whoever currently owns it id be very very thankful:)
This is the car, and those are the wheels i want, with that stance. lol, they dont look too out of the arches, so im just wondering why the calculator says they will be?

Cheers guys
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

With them being only 13", you will have less problems with the width and offset compared to 15s. But i'm not sure when it comes to a figure as low as -10.

I met someone with 8X13 Wellers on his mark3 polo. They were quite a stretch on his, he had quite a few arch issues, but he was fully decked.

Looking at that site, there's only one set that you can buy that are 13X8 4X100, meaning that if you want some for your polo you can only buy one set. This must mean that the mark3 I met, and that mark4 you've pictured must have the same alloys sharing the same offsets. I trust thay don't give you a variety of offsets options? (I certainly couldn't find any on that site).

So I'm assuming that that mark4 is riding the Weller 365/367s which are 13X8 4X100 with an offsets of -10. (unless he is riding some awkward stud pattern with spacers, which is HIGHLY unlikley considering they supply the correct ones without hassle).

Basically, I'm pretty sure that guy is riding the Wellers with the -10 offset, so that's what they'd look like. IMO with that ride height he was probably experiencing a few scrubbing issues. But when it looks that good who cares 8)
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

hey tim, thanks for that, im just abit concerned at how far out of the arches they are going to be? i dont want to be breaking the law too much by having them sticking out too far lol
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh, well the mark3 polo I saw was illegal. they stuck out quite far. But that mark4 doesn't look that bad really.

Have you looked at camber shims?
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

no i havnt tbh, i dont really know what they are :oops:
presume they just camber your wheels to tuck more under the arch? does that not significantly reduce tyre life? this is my daily, so its gotta still be pretty reliable lol.
hmmm well if 8" are illegal i might have to look at 7" :( bit of a cop out tho...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh camber shims are adjustors which you can create a certain amount of negative camber (they may even give you positive if you relaly wanted? not sure). All primarily for the reason you jsut stated, to fit them in the arch more.

But yes they do decrease the life of your tyres, my neg camber has just cost me a pair of Toyos!

It was clearly illegal on the mark3, but it doesn't look that bad on the mark4. Best thing to do is ring up Weller with the calculations you got on their online offset machine, and discuss whether it's true or not. If it is get the tape measure out and have a look at yours!! if you can pull off the 13X8s you know it would be awesome 8)
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

i know it would be awesome :lol:
i got a tape measure to the arches last night and ive got about 40mm until the rim will be flush with the arch(at the top of the arch where it sticks out most) the 7"s would onlu stick out 18mm further, meaning i could easily keep my tyres in the arches with a little stretch, the 8"s are a whole different matter, as these would be too far out to stretch the tyres back in :cry:
Ill probably give them a ring, might be a good idea:) im trying to find someone whos got a set i can try for size. I know of a few lads on hull who i think have them so that might be my best bet...
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

The wheel Alloy/steel is not aloud to stick out more then 35mm from the arch, however the tread on the tyre must be coverd by the arch at all times. Your fronts will be more then -10 because i think you need spacers to clear the calipers...
Last edited by vw-po-low on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
h4r1s
Platinum Member
Location: Leicester/Sheffield Drives: Polo MKV-6N2 1.4SE 16v 75BHP

Post by h4r1s »

That is dixy_boy's polo on DubClique. I think it is already sold. He might be on other forums under the same username ... dixy_boy :wink: