Aftermarket Stereo Question

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Grapo
Bronze Member

Aftermarket Stereo Question

Post by Grapo »

Just after some advice.

I fitted an aftermarket stereo some time ago and was having problems with my car battery going flat. I assume the stereo must have been taking a continuous live feed so decided to re-fit the standard stereo which solved the flat battery problem.

Recently reading about I came across a possible solution of swapping the red and yellow wires over on the wiring loom?

Will this solve my live feed problem?

I have swapped the wires over and re-fitted the stereo, however when I take the key out of the ignition the stereo doesnt turn off and the interior lights dont come on until I manually turn the stereo off. Is this correct?

G
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: Aftermarket Stereo Question

Post by blazeguarder »

You need to have a permanent live so that the headunit remembers its settings, and a switched live so that it turns on/off with the ignition. Some adaptor harnesses for quadlock to iso seem to be wired to have the red and yellow wires swapped already so that you don't need to do it yourself.
Where are you taking the switched live from? It sounds to me like you may have got it right the first time but had the switched live wired to permanent live? There's one at the cigarette lighter and another one is at the fuse under the fuse for the driver's side electric window. Just use one of those 'add a circuit' fuse adaptor things.
Grapo
Bronze Member

Post by Grapo »

All I have done is fit the ISO adaptor.

First time I had yellow-yellow, red-red, and this was causing the battery to go flat.

I have now done yellow-red, red-yellow. Not sure what difference this will make??
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Where are you taking the switched live from? Doesn't the ISO adaptor have a wire coming off it for the switched live?
The switched live is basically just to tell the radio when to turn on and off. If it's got a constant feed through it then that would explain why the battery was going flat. On the standard radio the switched live is replaced by canbus, so that seems to explain why the problem disappeared when you refitted the standard radio.
Swapping the red and yellow wires swaps the switched and constant lives, as this is sometimes the wrong way around on some adaptors. Honestly, it sounds like it probably needs a tedious hour of trying different switched live points and swapping the wires around to get it to work.
Grapo
Bronze Member

Post by Grapo »

I havnt a clue if it is taking a switched live from any where.

So the red and yellow wires have nothing to do with live feeds to the unit and play no part in turning the unit off with ignition etc.?
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Sorry mate, but you're probably better off posting this in the ICE section, the guys there will be able to give you more help than I can. Good luck anyway!