Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
t.small
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Post by t.small »

Ahh okay thanks for that mate. I'm thinking of maybe removing it and doing it again sometime soon. How did yours come out? I want to get them looking glossy as they've got a matt finish at the mo but not really sure how to. I guess if I spray lacquer over the top I wouldn't be able to remove the tint again after.

Thought I'd add something a bit unique to make it stand out with the tow strap. Still not 100% sure of it to be honest and a few people have mentioned it. I've tucked it up a bit more now so it's less visible. Think it looks a bit stupid when it's hanging out like in these pictures.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Looking forward to seeing what you do it, but please don't lift the bonnet :lol:
markyc
New

Post by markyc »

Can i just ask something? have you ever been on track?? if not why proceed to put a tow strap on........... :roll:
Ashcroft
Gold Member

Post by Ashcroft »

I was told that polish makes them shine a bit more so I did mine it worked but didn't get them really glossy I didn't mind cos they looked how I wanted them too lol
Try some polish on them dude

Here's a pic of mine
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Excellent, thanks for that. I'll give polish a go then and see how it comes out.
Spent most of the afternoon cleaning the Polo inside and out today. Pretty pleased with the result. So nice to have a clean interior again!

6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Looks ace mate :)

Still think the lights would look better without the tint spray though but that's just me being picky
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

6N2 GTI 00 wrote:Looks ace mate :)

Still think the lights would look better without the tint spray though but that's just me being picky
Thanks mate. Yeah I was thinking of putting the original ones back on yesterday. Managed to get some almost new ones so they'll look nice and shiny. Not happy with the finish on the tinted ones so will try and sort that out soon.
TomSmith
New

Post by TomSmith »

Lovely example of a 6n2 Tom. Currently i'm driving a Lupo 1.4 16v (not the sport :( ) Really pleased with the quality and the performance of the volkwagen's, despise the numerous problems iv had with mine. But now im looking for an upgrade. Think a Polo GTi would suit me perfectly.

Anyway, just an idea i wanted to throw at you for the rear light situation. Had a look on some of the styling threads and this particular mod took my fancy. its the LED rear sidelight circuit board. Have a look at the Tegwin thread. He's been making up some circuit boards for the light clusters and they look ace.

Let me know how you get on,

Tom
Ashcroft
Gold Member

Post by Ashcroft »

Lookin mint dude!
Gotta love how well the black pools clean up :-)
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Ahh another Tom! Thanks very much mate, nice to speak to you. I've seen Lupo GTIs before and thought to myself the performance must be insane for such a small car. Anything VW is good to be honest mate, the build quality is second to none compared with the french cars. Although they have their problems, as all cars do, it's worth it with a dub. I'll recommend nothing less than a Polo GTI if you can get your hands on a well kept one mate. May take some looking though as there are some dodgy ones about. I was pretty lucky with mine. I never get bored of driving it. Everytime I do, it still puts a big big smile on my face.
I've thought about getting some LED rear lights before. The majority of the ones on eBay are for the 6N though I think. And the problem with that is that the indicator is in a different place. Not sure about how the boards will work though, whether they'd provide you with some new ones I don't know. I'll keep looking and searching around though. I'm sure something will come up.

And thank you Ashcroft! Yes definitely. They scrub up very well, especially mine thankfully! For a 12 year old car I'm very pleased with the paintwork.

Put the original rear lights back in today as the tinted ones were really winding me up. Want to get them sorted and have a go at the tint again. Maybe look at getting them done professionally.

And finally some Audi TT Pedals! :D

nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Tom's 6N2 GTI Progress Thread

Post by nigelelliott394 »

That foot rest looks absolutely brilliant. Did you do it yourself or did you purchase it that way?
P mk4
Bronze Member

Post by P mk4 »

nigelelliott394 wrote:That foot rest looks absolutely brilliant. Did you do it yourself or did you purchase it that way?
You can purchase them of eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-GTI-9 ... 43b071c3eb

Looks good mate and personally i prefer standard lights no tint :D
Verity
Gold Member

Post by Verity »

Cars looking ready tidy and neat
Good job :D
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Thank you everyone :D Yeah I did the footrest myself. I was actually really pleased with the outcome - thought I'd balls it up most likely! It really adds an excellent touch to the footwell. Yeah I must say I think I prefer the standard lights too. Would love to get a very nice gloss finish on the tinted ones though so they blend in more. I'll let you know how I get on with them but not managing to get much done at the mo as I'm working so much!! Pays the bills tho....in fact pays for the car :wink:

My wind deflectors arrived slightly broken :cry: So I've had to send them back in order to get another set that hopefully isn't broken and will fit properly! Look forward to updating you all on those. I can't wait. I've seen them before and I think they look fab!
t.small
Bronze Member

Post by t.small »

Little addition for today.

Before:

Now:

Can't really see much from the front...