Speakers to partner an Alpine iDA-X305s

Discuss In Car Entertainment
J.C
New

Speakers to partner an Alpine iDA-X305s

Post by J.C »

Hi,

I'll be honest and say I know very little about car audio. I'm a computer geek by trade but work has me driving around quite a bit these days. Got a Polo 6n2 about 4 monthes ago, not really interested in making it go fast but as I spend a lot of time in it I wanted a good quality audio system.

My birthday is next week and i'm getting an Alpine iDA-X305s headunit. I'm just after a bit of advise on some speakers that would match this. Now here are my restrictions:

1. I don't want loads of bass, i'd my prefer a reasonably loud but high quality sound.

2. I need all my boot space so not 6x9's in the parcel shelf or sub boxes.

3. Have about £200 to spend.

I was just going to by replacement speakers and power them from the headunit but after doing a bit of research this looks like it might not be the best option?

Thanks in advance for all information,

James
tipp0
New

Re: Speakers to partner an Alpine iDA-X305s

Post by tipp0 »

bump, also interested in this
Dilbo Baggins
New

Post by Dilbo Baggins »

My advice would be save a little more and be able too go for someink like JL Audio, especially with Alpine headunit,,,,,
cant go wrong then geez...... :)
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

I would recommend the Alpine type G range, along with the amp that ups the wattage at the back of the head untit from 50w to 100w (45RMS). Alpine is the best stuff in my eyes. If you then want more bass add a sub to the equation at a later date:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-spg-17c2.html

either the coaxial in the back and crossovers in the front

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ktp445.html
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

A bit of anecdotal information:

I've got old Alpine (90's) headunits in both cars...

In the mk1 golf, we've got JBL 5 1/4"components in the front, and coax 6x4s in the rear. (stock sizes/locations) Both are the "good" JBLs, not the cheapie range. They're driven from the headunit, and are incredibly clear. (I have a cheap amp driving a rockford fosgate 12" in a sealed box running too) I don't play it crazy loud, but it's still clear at 60mph with the top down.

In the B4 passat, I've put a SERIOUSLY budget system in - reckon the whole lot's come in under £100:

Alpine headunit (from cash converter!)
5 1/4 alpine components with adapter rings (a fiver 2nd hand off ebay!)
6 1/2" infinity bass mids with factory tweeters in the rear. (already in car when purchased)
Cheap 2nd hand amp. (another from the cash converter)
2nd hand rockford fosgate 12 (bought a 2x12" locally off ebay cheap for the drivers) in home made 1.6 cu.ft box.

... And the upshot is that I really wish I'd got 6 1/2"s in the front... other than that, I can't complain.

We recently put a set of "Juice" 6 1/2" components in my mate's B4 passat - again, driven from the (sony) headunit... The tweeters are VERY loud, but we popped some 10K ceramic resistors in line (5Ks would've been better, but only had 10Ks in the drawer!) and they're surprisingly good - they play low notes confidently too- Incredible for £40. (like you - he doesn't have space for a sub... in the future, I reckon a 2nd pair, installed in the rear would do magic.

So what would I recommend?

Components for the front, and either the same again, or some co axils for the rear.

For your budget, you've got loads of choice... Alpine, Vibe blackair, JL, even Hertz and Focal. I'd look at something like that, (£100 ish) amp them if you want (amp bargains are easy to find - £25 to £35 easily buys a 2nd hand sony or jbl) and you'll have money left over for a wiring kit (£10 off ebay) and still have over £50 for rear speakers - which'll easily buy alpine or similar co axils which won't need amping - just run from the headunit.

Or, do all that with your bargain-hunting hat on, keeping £50 to £60 of your budget planted firmly in your pocket... and get a 2nd hand underseat sub as well...