Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by Tooks »

JohnPolo wrote:The fact that VW UK stopped selling the outgoing GTI while it was still possible to order the rest of the model line up pre refresh tells you something. :wink:
I'm not sure that's why they stopped selling it, it's quite common for VW to bring the flagship model for a range in early and end it early too.

Certainly, I seem to remember they did it with the golf, and Audi have done it with the S3 too, as I found when I tried to order an 8P version well before the 8V was available. The dealer tried to sell me any number of 2.0T quattro S-Lines instead.

I'm. It denying there have been issues, be daft to, but the ones you hear about are a self selecting sample, nobody really posts to say 'mine is great'!

My own car seems to have settled now, and is covering north of 3000 miles to half a litre or less.

I do get occasional 2nd gear DSG clutch judge though, when the engine is hot and I've been driving around town in atop start. I don't get it in manual/paddle shift mode though. I'll mention it when it goes for a service in the next couple of months.
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

Post by tommytse22 »

Cars went in today vw and they said cars on a oil test now 700 miles and return my car I did see on there paper work " brethe pipe ?" So I'm guessing they going try replace that if lol test fails! Overall the dealership dealt with it quite good so all good :)
Quarkmin
New

Post by Quarkmin »

Finally got my car back today with engine number 3! Wonder how long this one will last... :lol:
Your evil twin
New
Drives: 6R 3door 1.0 60PS

Post by Your evil twin »

I've just finished reading all of the 67 pages, and even tho i feel sorry for all the people with the problematic engine, i have to admit i'm very pleased with getting the weak 3 cylinder version for less then half of the GTI price..
It runs without a hickup, needs no oil filling and has great fuel consumption :)
180HP from 1.4 with 2 separate chargers sounded too complicated when i first heard of it, and as we can see, it IS too complicated.
This oil consumption and engine change drama sounds even worse than the engine problems of the RX8..
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

A sorted GTI is an absolute dream to drive. More than happy with mine. Cheap to run & insure. Mild mannered about town and bonkers if you need it to be.
Your evil twin
New
Drives: 6R 3door 1.0 60PS

Post by Your evil twin »

Heh, i know. In the past i've had a more powerful and bigger coupe than the Polo GTI. Gotta admit, its fun in the first couple of weeks, but then you'll get used to the power.
To any amount of power, in fact.
And then the need of more power starts lurking in your head :)
jp145
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6R

Post by jp145 »

Ive had a Polo 6R 2011 plate for just over two years. When i first got it (20k on the clock)it used a litre about every 600-800 miles. I took it back to VW and they carried out the standard , breather pipe and electronic updates. The car now has 50k on the clock and oil usage has really dropped off. It barely uses much oil at all now... just my experience for your info :D
jp145
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6R

Post by jp145 »

Just for balance, I have not spent a penny on the car other than servicing and tyres since i bought it two years ago. The engine/gearbox combo is brilliant!! Its fuel efficient, it does burn oil but surely its designed to do so?!

Unfortunately, engines will fail if people do not top up oil regularly. However, from my experience so far, if you do top up, you wont have any issues!!
daveb73
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6R 5 Door

Post by daveb73 »

I've had my 2012 GTI for around 3 weeks and done 750 miles, haven't used a drop of oil as yet (I've checked the level every few days since I bought it).
ALNG
New
Drives: None - yet!

Post by ALNG »

Haven't really read anything that conclusive that the CTHE engine doesn't have the same issues?

Contemplating buying a 2013 MY GTI but can't be dealing with high oil consumption problems.
daveb73
Getting There!

Post by daveb73 »

Its worth remembering that all the problems you hear about them will be from a percentage of owners who have posted on forums only because they are having issues, there's probably plenty of the tsi cars out there that don't have this problem, mine included.
ALNG
New
Drives: None - yet!

Post by ALNG »

daveb73 wrote:Its worth remembering that all the problems you hear about them will be from a percentage of owners who have posted on forums only because they are having issues, there's probably plenty of the tsi cars out there that don't have this problem, mine included.
Point taken but it's worrying to see the sheer volume of people with issues, was reading last night about people having issues even on the later MY cars.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Well I had a new engine under warranty and it still drinks oil and smokes. So pleased it is going in around 7 days time for my new 1.8 GTI. For me it's.. so long 1.4, nice idea, shame it didn't work. :wink:
daveb73
Getting There!

Post by daveb73 »

JohnPolo wrote:Well I had a new engine under warranty and it still drinks oil and smokes. So pleased it is going in around 7 days time for my new 1.8 GTI. For me it's.. so long 1.4, nice idea, shame it didn't work. :wink:
Well mine works like a peach, just an incredible engine with so much torque and so much top end punch from a considerably small unit.

I do feel really sorry for those who have suffered with the oil issues but if you get a good one they are just fantastic.
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

I would only say this . What would be the rationale behind VW changing to a 1.8 from a twin-charged 1.4 if it had been such an inherent success.