BlueGT Drivers, what kind of mileage are you getting?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

BlueGT Drivers, what kind of mileage are you getting?

Post by rsmagee »

Pass the one week mark of owning a BlueGT on Saturday, and am loving the car.

However the mpg I am getting seems a touch low, even when I am very careful. I get about 44mpg and the moment with 500 miles on the clock. Is this what other people are seeing, or does it get better as the engine beds in?
JohnNW
Getting There!

Re: BlueGT Drivers, what kind of mileage are you getting?

Post by JohnNW »

I'm on about 800 miles and pretty much the same, though I did get 52 on longish motorway run last week. Ironically I got 45 this morning out of our A6 Allroad (245) on a trip across the M62.

Part of it I think is that I need to adapt my driving style having driven fast-ish diesels.

Hopefully, it'll improve as the car beds in and my driving adapts to suit.

Has anyone used the "Think Blue" trainer? My best score to date was 98/100.
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

Glad its not just me! Got a 97/100 on the think blue trainer. Have added a tuning box, but at least in the few runs I have done today its had no impact on efficiency.
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Post by TheFrog »

rsmagee wrote:Have added a tuning box.
Are you sure that's wise with just 500 miles on the clock?
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

TheFrog wrote:
rsmagee wrote:Have added a tuning box.
Are you sure that's wise with just 500 miles on the clock?
Haha, no I am pretty sure its not! Still taking it very easy on the engine, but got a really good price for it and couldn't stand it just sitting on a shelf!
gti-joe
Silver Member
Drives: 6c Polo Blue GT

Post by gti-joe »

I got 57.8mpg when I picked my car up from the dealers in Nuneaton and drove it all the way home on the M6,M74 and M8 to Edinburgh with the cruise set at 65mph most of the way, was impressed at the time. Now around 47mpg running on a mix of city, A, B roads and dual carriageways, probably more realistic figures.
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

gti-joe wrote:I got 57.8mpg when I picked my car up from the dealers in Nuneaton and drove it all the way home on the M6,M74 and M8 to Edinburgh with the cruise set at 65mph most of the way, was impressed at the time. Now around 47mpg running on a mix of city, A, B roads and dual carriageways, probably more realistic figures.
I might try giving 65 a go on the motoway, been using 70 so far. To be fair I think high 40s is pretty impressive, are people using super or normal unleaded? I believe this engine has knock sensors and will run better on super.
gti-joe
Silver Member

Post by gti-joe »

I am putting Super unleaded in mine, yeh still impressed with high 40's out of a 150bhp turbo petrol engine after only getting low 30's out of my 9n3 GTI on the same type of roads.
98octaneblood
Getting There!
Drives: Blue GT MY15

Post by 98octaneblood »

I'm getting around 42 mpg, first 1.000 Km and an average speed of 40 Km/h...a lot of traffic jams here these days, so I find it an excellent figure. I can easily reach 50 mpg if the traffic conditions are optimal, driving at legal speed of course and being smooth with the right pedal.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

rsmagee wrote:
gti-joe wrote:I got 57.8mpg when I picked my car up from the dealers in Nuneaton and drove it all the way home on the M6,M74 and M8 to Edinburgh with the cruise set at 65mph most of the way, was impressed at the time. Now around 47mpg running on a mix of city, A, B roads and dual carriageways, probably more realistic figures.
I might try giving 65 a go on the motoway, been using 70 so far. To be fair I think high 40s is pretty impressive, are people using super or normal unleaded? I believe this engine has knock sensors and will run better on super.
I'd be interested to see what you get as I do 60-65mph on the motorway for economy (then thrash it at the weekend) and I'm looking at the Blue GT in Jan/Feb time. Can't wait!
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

My average after just over 5000 miles is a shade under 50mpg. My driving is 99% a-road sitting between 50 and 60mph, so I think I'm in the sweet spot. Motorway at 70mph is not too bad but if you like to drive a little faster then you'll see 40-ish instead of close to 50.

On a good run I've seen 60+mpg but that's stuck behind wagons at 40mph!
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

I need to learn I dont need to overtake all the time on the motoway!

Out of interest how are people finding the stop start system. Mine hardly ever works, and just claims "the engine must be running". I have only seen it work a few times!
gti-joe
Silver Member

Post by gti-joe »

Mine works every time when its up to temperature.
98octaneblood
Getting There!
Drives: Blue GT MY15

Post by 98octaneblood »

rsmagee wrote:I need to learn I dont need to overtake all the time on the motoway!

Out of interest how are people finding the stop start system. Mine hardly ever works, and just claims "the engine must be running". I have only seen it work a few times!
Are you using the climatronic all the time? Is the only reason (apart from a malfunction) that makes that the start&stop does not stop the engine.
CrypticG
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2 TSI SEL (6C)

Post by CrypticG »

rsmagee wrote:I need to learn I dont need to overtake all the time on the motoway!

Have you got the Climatronic control upgrade? If so, mine is the same pal - the requirements are very specific for it, what i do know is that 2 weeks ago i took it in to VW because it was never working, they agreed and said there was a software update for it, since i have had that installed it has been a lot better.. Not sure how long you have had your car though. I got mine in July.

I was also told that the Stop/Start will only be available, once the inside temperature has reached the setting you have selected, therefore on a cold day if you have say 25c selected it will take ages for the system to become available.. I have found that 21-23c is optimum, and usually kicks in faultlessly after 5/6 miles, providing the fan speed isn't on max.. The upgraded Electronic Climate Control is a very different system compared to the standard Air-conditioning, hence why the AC units work almost all of the time.