GTI Running costs

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Oscar78
New
Drives: N/A

GTI Running costs

Post by Oscar78 »

Hello everyone, I'm looking into getting a GTI as the deals through brokers are pretty good.

I get a car allowance which will cover the buying and servicing ect but as I claim business mileage back at 20 pence per mile on roughly 20000 per year I want to make sure i'm not out of pocket while doing business miles.

My other option is a diesel Seat Leon FR 184 but with roughly similar spec it's quite a bit more to buy and I prefer the GTI :D

Has anyone thats taken delivery worked out the rough running costs (fuel only) per mile?

Cheers
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Re: GTI Running costs

Post by Norbreck21a »

Seems a little mean from your company.

The official HMRC rates are

Cars and Vans - First 10,000 miles - 45p/miles, Each business mile over 10,000 in the tax year @ 25p/mile ?
Oscar78
New

Post by Oscar78 »

It is a bit, although as my allowance covers everything else I usually end up better off after expenses based on my current 2l tdci mondeo.

The above government figures is what I can claim back as tax relief at the end of each tax year on top of my actual expenses.

A rough guide on RAC says a journey of 150 miles at 30mpg will have me slightly ahead. It's whether 30mpg is realistic as an average.....
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

I don't know if the new GTI is better or worse on fuel than the 6R version, but I average 36mpg in mine.

So, 20,000 miles would need 555 gallons of petrol.

20p per mile for 20,000 business miles gets you £4k a year.

Petrol prices are low at the moment, but assuming £1.25 a litre, that's about £3.3k a year?

Petrol would have to rise to £1.60 a litre before you use all that £4k.

So, you'd have a bit of leeway for fuel price increases and a bit left over.

The Leon 184 is a nice car too though, but as you say, a bit pricier.
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

Oscar78 wrote:
A rough guide on RAC says a journey of 150 miles at 30mpg will have me slightly ahead. It's whether 30mpg is realistic as an average.....
I think you'd have to be driving it very hard constantly or spending your entire time stuck in city centre traffic to get less than 30mpg.
Oscar78
New

Post by Oscar78 »

yeah it was just to give me a rough worst case guide or if I get carried away with the right foot :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies it's making my decision a little easier, I have some test drives lined up later this week so will see how I get on.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

20p is generous

We get 14p a mile...
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

Oscar78 wrote:Hello everyone, I'm looking into getting a GTI as the deals through brokers are pretty good.

I get a car allowance which will cover the buying and servicing ect but as I claim business mileage back at 20 pence per mile on roughly 20000 per year I want to make sure i'm not out of pocket while doing business miles.

My other option is a diesel Seat Leon FR 184 but with roughly similar spec it's quite a bit more to buy and I prefer the GTI :D

Has anyone thats taken delivery worked out the rough running costs (fuel only) per mile?

Cheers
I'm averaging 36mpg overall. I get about 30 around town if not booting it and provided I've gone more than a 2 miles. At a steady 72 on the M-way, with the odd roadworks thrown in, I get about 42 - 43 mpg with 2400 miles on the clock. It may get better over time.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I get around 25-30 but I tend to drive properly 80+ on the motorway and none of this slow acceleration eco driving nonsense, I also have the air-con flat out every time I drive it.

This is also using shell vpower fuel.
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member

Post by Penarth Blues »

Dink wrote:I get around 25-30 but I tend to drive properly 80+ on the motorway and none of this slow acceleration eco driving nonsense, I also have the air-con flat out every time I drive it.

Brilliant image! I've got visions of some demented driver with EVERYTHING on full - hazard lights, fogs, stereo, etc - driving around flat out just to ensure he's living live to the full :lol:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your car - my recent speed awareness course is still in my mind (36 on Newport Road, Cardiff...) - along with a desire to not beat the car to death while it's still young... :D
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Dink wrote:I get around 25-30 but I tend to drive properly 80+ on the motorway and none of this slow acceleration eco driving nonsense, I also have the air-con flat out every time I drive it.

Reminds me of Top Gear trying to use all the fuel before they got to Chernobyl....
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I don't do a lot of miles so the ones I do in the first need to test the car and vw can fix it if it breaks.

Also I have a clean license which amazes everyone lol :D
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Newport Road....they have been flogging that horse for at least 40 years, you'd think they would show a little bit of imagination. You must have been very unlucky, I can't recall anybody driving that slowly along Newport Road.
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member

Post by Penarth Blues »

Ricmondo wrote:Newport Road....they have been flogging that horse for at least 40 years, you'd think they would show a little bit of imagination. You must have been very unlucky, I can't recall anybody driving that slowly along Newport Road.
They changed a traffic light camera to a speed camera. I was one of the first to get done but it was doing 71 people a day at the start. It became notorious:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-day.html

Worst thing was I was the only car on the road in a 3-lane highway at 06:00 in the morning and I remember the light flashing and thinking it can't be for me as I was travelling so slowly! :evil:

Anyway, what's done is done - and I got to hear about all the devious ways they can catch you out. I don't think it is possible to drive in the UK now without committing some sort of offence just by being on the road - so it's all about whether they can be bothered to do you now or not. The one I like the best is 3 streetlights in a row constitutes a built-up area and the speed limit is 30 even if there are no signs... Makes the country lanes much more interesting...
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

That must have been very frustrating, hardly a dangerous speed at that time on that road.

Many years ago I was chased and stopped by a motor cycle cop in London's Park Lane, no traffic but 90 odd in an MGB was pushing it a bit. The first question was 'What speed do you think you were doing Stirling'. I replied 'sorry officer it must have been about 90'. His unexpected reply was ' an honest one at last, slow down and f.... Off'.

Many years later I bumped into said bearded copper running a minibus service in Pendine, The Pendine Pixey' in conversation he revealed I was the only one he had ever let off..must be my angelic face... More likely an aversion to end of shift paperwork.