Clunking brakes 2016 GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
fanpolo
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

Clunking brakes 2016 GTI

Post by fanpolo »

I bought a brand new Polo GTI 5 weeks ago. It has been back to the dealership 6 times because of clunking brakes and teh garage has had it longer than I have. Mostly happens in reverse. Technicians at the local VW garage cant fix it it was sent to a master technician at Carlisle. he seemingly replaced the calipers, disks and pads and it is still doing it. VW are now saying it is a characteristic of the Polo GTI, which I think is absolute nonsense. They also say that lots of the new model Polo GTI owners are experiencing the same issue, which I again think is absolute nonsense.

Question is, has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, did you get it resolved?

Thank you.
panosvet
New
Drives: Vw polo gti 6c

Re: Clunking brakes 2016 GTI

Post by panosvet »

Hello fan polo,
I experience a mechanical noise from the front axle on breaking in low speeds (parking etc). The noise comes from the centre of the axle and it is apparent on 80% of use. I haven't been to the dealer yet. If they say it is a common thing did they explain if there is a wearing factor Involved? Because the sound of it is not a pleasant one, if you know what I mean... :?
fanpolo
New
Drives: 2016 GTI

Post by fanpolo »

No mention of wearing. We are at the point of rejecting the car. They have offered us a full refund or building us a new car, but have warned that because it is such a common fault, the new one might be the same. I'm trying to find out just how common it is and then decide whether to get my money back or a new car.

Hope you get your problem fixed.
panosvet
New

Post by panosvet »

Thank you
I ll try to find how common is it in Greece and I will get back with the statistics, hehe. Hope everything works out fine with you
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

VW Group playing for time? What a bunch of chancers, if it is not right I'm sure that they will sort it out on new build and then roll out a fix for existing cars - they have to, unless they can find lots of other manufacturers feeding that crap out to customers!

Edit:- over 10 years ago, VAG had trouble with the rear brakes on some of these Fabia/Polo/Ibiza cars and found a way to sort that problem out, current cars have very similar brakes on the rear so this should not be happening.
djbrad
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

Post by djbrad »

I had an issue where the brakes would clunk/click when you first braked after reversing and again the first time you braked going forward again, it also happened evey now and then when driving normally, basically the pads were moving backwards and forwards in the caliper then hitting the caliper when the brakes were applied. I had it back to the dealer who applied "special grease" and told me it was normal and that as the brakes wore in it would stop, effectivly saying corrosion and dirt build up would eventually stop the noise, I asked the question on this forum and other people did say they had the problem and it went away after the first few thousand miles.
I contacted VW customer services, which I wouldn't recommend anyone to do as it was a frustrating and fruitless exercise, lots of promises to call back none of which were kept and they eventually said it was normal nothing they could do. However my dealer's service manager got in touch after a negative reply to their customer feedback text and he agreed that it was not normal and booked my car back in. The only part they changed was the pads and mine is now noise free, I can only assume that VW have more than one supplier of pads and that they are working to fractionally different sizes as the dealer said they couldn't see any difference between the ones they took out and the new ones.
panosvet
New

Post by panosvet »

Well this is so explanatory and logical and true. It great to learn about the car from people that care more than its manufacturers. Thank a lot for the clarification !
nry
Bronze Member

Post by nry »

I'll see if mine does this in a month or two when it turns up...

However we had something similar on the gearbox of a Volvo V40 and were told that the noise would be there on any gearbox, however newer ones are lighter weight and thinner material so noises transmitted easier...

Given my 2014 BlueGT has a similar gearbox noise I am inclined to believe them. Volvo also said that as we had reported the issue, any longer term wear or damage caused would be covered by warranty. So far, 3yrs and 23,000 miles later and it is still the same noise, no suggestion it has got worse.

Quite possibly it may well be just a characteristic and nothing to worry about.
C_Randell_23
Getting There!
Drives: 6C GTI Black 3dr Manual with toys

Post by C_Randell_23 »

Hi,

I have had the same problem with the 6c gti brakes from new, the clicking/ clunking you describe that you get when parking dissappeared after 300- 400 miles, so did the high pitch squeak at very low speeds when braking.

There was an old thread where this was mentioned and quite a few people with the same problem said it dissappeared for them after a few hundred miles.

See my new thread about the sticking brakes, 4,000 miles later i'm now getting sticking pads.
POLO-SA
New

Post by POLO-SA »

I devised my own fix and used the blades of a sparkplug feeler gauge to make U-shaped shims. I used the shims to fill the gaps between the brake calliper carrier and the top and bottom ends of both the brake pads. The knocking noises were gone for a while, but it did return although not as loud without the shims.

wamba
New
Drives: polo 1.2tsi

Post by wamba »

djbrad wrote:I had an issue where the brakes would clunk/click when you first braked after reversing and again the first time you braked going forward again, it also happened evey now and then when driving normally, basically the pads were moving backwards and forwards in the caliper then hitting the caliper when the brakes were applied. I had it back to the dealer who applied "special grease" and told me it was normal and that as the brakes wore in it would stop, effectivly saying corrosion and dirt build up would eventually stop the noise, I asked the question on this forum and other people did say they had the problem and it went away after the first few thousand miles.
I contacted VW customer services, which I wouldn't recommend anyone to do as it was a frustrating and fruitless exercise, lots of promises to call back none of which were kept and they eventually said it was normal nothing they could do. However my dealer's service manager got in touch after a negative reply to their customer feedback text and he agreed that it was not normal and booked my car back in. The only part they changed was the pads and mine is now noise free, I can only assume that VW have more than one supplier of pads and that they are working to fractionally different sizes as the dealer said they couldn't see any difference between the ones they took out and the new ones.
hi
I recently installed the brake system of the polo gti 6C and I have the same noise as you when I back down and forward
Has the new reference of brake pads that they installed ?