Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by Penarth Blues »

Penarth Blues wrote:
Penarth Blues wrote:
ThisIsBarcode wrote:Just out of curiosity…I'm hoping to pick my new GTi within the week. 17th July I am driving over to Dusseldorf (via Ghent and Eindhoven) to watch Ipswich play. Round trip will be touching 1500 miles in 4 days. Should I be worried about oil usage with the car being so new :shock: ? I'd imagine I'd be able to clock up easily 600 miles before then.
Bit late but my GTI's used no oil at all as far as I can tell after 1500 miles
Update after 3500 miles: Firstly it's really important to get the oil up to temperature as the reading on the dipstick does seem to vary a bit. Secondly, I seem to have used about 250ml to this point so if this continues it will need a top up before the next service.
Further reading at 6,300 miles and the oil level has not shifted at all from the 3,500 mile check i.e. about a quarter of the way down from the 'full' mark on the dipstick. So it may be this is the level it was delivered at. Anyhow - all seems well at present!
MHO
New
Drives: 6R GTi

Post by MHO »

Quick update.
Having completed the oil test, I used 0.85 litres in 660 miles so they are going to carry out the standard changes, oil breather pipe, oil pump, injectors etc and go from there. The dealership (not vw) I purchased the car from are going to speak to VW UK to push for a new engine to be fitted as they know the "modification" don't normally fix the issue but I shall update when the car has been fixed.
MHO
New
Drives: 6R GTi

Post by MHO »

Another update.
Had a phonecall from VW explaining their technicians screwed up the oil weigh so I've to go and repeat the 660 miles for a third time before they can either do the standard oil parts or replace the engine..
onursumer
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT 1.4 TSI 150HP DSG

Post by onursumer »

i have 2015 bluegt 150hp , I'm adding 0,75 liters oil in average 10.000 kilometer
DKPOLOGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by DKPOLOGT »

onursumer wrote:i have 2015 bluegt 150hp , I'm adding 0,75 liters oil in average 10.000 kilometer
About the same here.
BGT 150

/ *L*
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

1.4 TDi 2016.

At 6,000 miles the oil level is as high as the day I got it.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I am sort of trying to work out why owners of the newer breeds of VW engine cars are still worried about oil usage - the original poster was discussing the original TSI with the chain driven camshaft. I'd hope all these problems only concern legacy engines and mainly only the 1.4TSI twin charger, with a few 1.2TSI thrown in.
Spag_bol
New
Drives: Polo GTi

Post by Spag_bol »

Hi everyone, I'm a new 2011 Polo GTI owner, in fact I got it yesterday, can someone tell me what a safe oil temp as on the display (trip) I'm getting 85 - 92 after 15 minutes driving.. is this normal? (Not a petrol head).

Cheers.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It can go up to 100 easily on a run

So long as its not pushing 110+ its all good
Spag_bol
New
Drives: Polo GTi

Post by Spag_bol »

Brilliant! Thanks for the reply much appreciated !
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

Spag_bol wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a new 2011 Polo GTI owner, in fact I got it yesterday, can someone tell me what a safe oil temp as on the display (trip) I'm getting 85 - 92 after 15 minutes driving.. is this normal? (Not a petrol head).

Cheers.
My Polo goes up to 90 and just sits there, that's a normal temp once it's warmed up.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Thats the water temp

VW decided in the late 90s to normalise the temperature reading as they were getting complaints that cars fluctuated on temperature (nothing actually wrong, just increased cold air flow on the radiator for example), so once the engine reaches 90, it will show 90 if its anywhere between 85<>95 once running and warmed up.
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

alexperkins wrote:Thats the water temp

VW decided in the late 90s to normalise the temperature reading as they were getting complaints that cars fluctuated on temperature (nothing actually wrong, just increased cold air flow on the radiator for example), so once the engine reaches 90, it will show 90 if its anywhere between 85<>95 once running and warmed up.
Oops !.............so it is Alex, my mistake.
Stobo91
New
Drives: 6R 1.4 GTI

Post by Stobo91 »

Hi all.

Purchased a 6r 11plate 1.4 GTI 1st of November from a well known car supermarket. Oil was full on collection and car has done 40100 miles.

Today (40900 miles) the oil low light popped up leading to me scratching my head and finding this post and shocked I missed it when researching the car before buying.

Rang the dealer and they suggest filling back to full and running for another 1k miles and see if it happens again before they said they would look into what they would/can do.

Ive been happy with the car other than this but it's really got me worried as I don't have any additional warranty.

Even looked into ways to possibly return the car while it's under its 3 month warranty as I can't help but think we have a ticking time bomb.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

This seems to be the classic high oil consumption usage that affected early models, mine is a 60 plate (MY2011), and VW replaced the engine at 8K, not without numerous tests first though.

I think the garage are trying to fob you off by sending you away for another 1K miles, I am certain the same thing will happen especially as it has done 40K.

Sounds like your car has not had the basic mods of cam breather hose and software update. Does it have full VW Service history?

The tell tale signs for me were blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when moving off (once oil is hot) and when booting it having been on constant revs for a while.

Mine used about 1 litre every 600 miles at worse!

Does your car have many previous owners?

Don't panic though as the car should still run reliably but it is not right, but even the replacement engines use oil, I am on about 1 Litre per 3000 miles. I would get it back to the supplying dealer as soon as convenient as this is a well known issue.