Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Stobo91
New
Drives: 6R 1.4 GTI

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by Stobo91 »

skipster wrote:This seems to be the classic high oil consumption usage that affected early models, mine is a 60 plate (MY2011), and VW replaced the engine at 8K, not without numerous tests first though.

I think the garage are trying to fob you off by sending you away for another 1K miles, I am certain the same thing will happen especially as it has done 40K.

Sounds like your car has not had the basic mods of cam breather hose and software update. Does it have full VW Service history?

The tell tale signs for me were blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when moving off (once oil is hot) and when booting it having been on constant revs for a while.

Mine used about 1 litre every 600 miles at worse!

Does your car have many previous owners?

Don't panic though as the car should still run reliably but it is not right, but even the replacement engines use oil, I am on about 1 Litre per 3000 miles. I would get it back to the supplying dealer as soon as convenient as this is a well known issue.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes the car does have I believe 4 previous owners which is a lot for a 5/6 year old car. Also it has a stamp for oil change at 35k in 2015 then another stamp for another oil change at 38k which was 8 months later. Looking back now it seems obvious that previous owners were also worried of it and got rid.

Another twist - topped the oil back to full as per their instruction, set off back home from family members house and within a few minutes I had low coolant warning. Immediately worried me because I made sure this was topped up to full on 23rd when I topped oil up. Checked it and it was a good inch below the minimum mark. It was literally a 0.5mile drive so checked when I got home and straight away noticed a leak from underneath. Oil has dropped from max on dipstick to about halfway in 3 days aswell (hardly been driven though).

Not 100% sure if its oil or water that's leaking but I just want rid of it now.

Will get onto them first thing in morn and see what they say but imo it needs towing away.

Anyone any experience of rejecting a car?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

You are well within your rights to reject it if it's sub standard
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Stobo91 - yes - as per Alex post, I would try and reject it. The pity about it is, overall they are fantastic cars, but this oil consumption issue did tarnish the reputation of it on those early cars. It was not made better until about 2012 models. The number of owners does seem to indicate that owners got rid when they sensed a problem.

With mine, as it was new at the time I had warranty thank goodness, but it was a complete pain to go through the process with VW of getting them to address the problem. The 'supermarket' that your bought it from may not have been aware of these problems anyway.

A real pity, but yes - get back on to them as soon as you can. Good luck with that mate.
Stobo91
New

Post by Stobo91 »

Thanks guys.

Aftersales not working today back tomorrow so another day without it.

They suggested I get the car recovered to them using my breakdown cover (don't have any) or top the fluids up to drive it back to them. Haven't tested yet but when I ran the engine briefly the coolant leak was constantly dripping so I've no confidence it will run for very long before coolant low again.

I've sent them a email stating the problems and asked for a reply in writing. I believe I have to give them one opportunity to repair the car before I have grounds for rejection. Not very good at stuff like this so shall just wait and see what they say.

Edit- and yes it is a real pity. The dsg is fantastic and the for a 1.4 it's a very impressive little machine.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Indeed, they are great cars, amazing the power you can get for a 1.4, but they did not get it quite right back in 2010. There is a lot of information out there which you may have already seen so the dealer has to take this seriously, this is the PistonHeads view: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1117562

If the coolant is leaking that badly, best not to drive it, I am guessing you are quite a distance from the dealership?
Stobo91
New

Post by Stobo91 »

Cheers for link mate will check that later.

16 mile drive from them 14 of that is motorway so not ideal if it Requires topping up on the way! Interested to see what they suggest tomorrow but I thought it should be up to them to recover and repair the car??
Stobo91
New

Post by Stobo91 »

Topped up and drove it back to them without any issues.

Already looked into it and they found the waterpump to be leaking/failing so they replacing it tomorrow. No mention of the oil issue yet.
Stobo91
New

Post by Stobo91 »

Waterpump changed and cured coolant issue.

They have done a compression test which came back fine apparently and no leaks found so they aren't sure about oil problem. They contacted VW who said 1litre per 1200miles is acceptable.

They have filled oil and said to monitor it again over next 1000 miles.

Considering going to VW and doing a proper oil consumption test so at least if it is using too much then I have an official report saying so.
smurftech
New

Post by smurftech »

2014 Polo Blue GT 140bhp.

Used 1 litre of oil at 15,000 miles. (Had oil warning light - dipstick showed at minimum)

Today another litre of oil at 30,000 miles, 30 months old. (Had oil warning light - dipstick showed at minimum)
Zebra
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 TSI SE 5 door - Pure White

Post by Zebra »

If your engine is using oil and you want to stop it, have a look at XADO additives.

I have personal experience of using these products to restore compression and worn engines.

I have used 1 Stage Engine Revitalizant.

http://xado.co.uk/revitalizants

Takes about 600 miles to be effective and lasts about 60,000 miles thereafter.
Stobo91
New

Post by Stobo91 »

Stobo91 wrote:Waterpump changed and cured coolant issue.

They have done a compression test which came back fine apparently and no leaks found so they aren't sure about oil problem. They contacted VW who said 1litre per 1200miles is acceptable.

They have filled oil and said to monitor it again over next 1000 miles.

Considering going to VW and doing a proper oil consumption test so at least if it is using too much then I have an official report saying so.
Update

So I drove 1200 miles as they suggested and it has used 1850ml of oil. This to me is way way too excessive.

Now they can't just take my word for this so now they are suggesting that they are going to have to do all the top ups themselves so which means taking it back to them every other week.

I think the car is great but bearing in mind I'm paying for it over the next 5 years I'm really worried I've got a ticking time bomb and honestly I just want nothing more than to swap it for something else. Does anyone know best place to look for advice about this type of thing?