polo 6r gti remap long term reliability ? remap or tuning box

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

polo 6r gti remap long term reliability ? remap or tuning box

Post by tommytse22 »

currently owned my polo 6r gti for over 2 and half years not really had problems other then drinking a little bit of oil. im currently getting a bit bored of it so maybe add a bit of power to it make me smile again.
what is the reliability of remap ? do i need a dsg remap as well?

Thanks
Bodge
New
Drives: 2011 Polo 1.4 SE 5dr

Re: polo 6r gti remap long term reliability ? remap or tuning box

Post by Bodge »

Speaking from my own experience of remapping I would say reliability isn't a problem. Although picking a good tuner who has a lot of experience and customers with your engine is critical. You also want a tuner that offers good aftersales support and map customisation.

I've had my Mk1 Octavia RS (1.8 20vT) for 10 years and it's been remapped for the last 7 years. It gets used a lot too, currently has 180k miles on the clock. I've not had any issues. I used Shark Performance and would recommend them to anyone. They have a rolling road and can do custom maps, which makes a huge difference. You can also ask for features to be added or deactivated.

Obviously there are bad tuners out there, who's maps will probably ruin your car. I have a friend with an A3 TDI and a cheap map wrecked his car, so he's very anti remap!

The downside is insurance costs, for modified vehicles. Also more boost equals more heat, so you need to stay on top of oil changes and generally keep the engine in good health. Things will probably wear out slightly quicker but not to a level that should affect you on a modern car. The extra torque will also highlight an already worn clutch.

Standard peak boost on my engine (AUQ) is 10psi and with the remap it peaks at about 19.5psi. So makes quite a difference when it spools up! The upgrade from 234Nm to 354Nm peak feels huge along with higher sustained torque over a rev range.

Oh also try and get a map that you can remove yourself to revert back to standard. Very handy for diagnosing faults etc. I have an STS unit that can load the standard map back on when I need to.
tommytse22
Bronze Member
Drives: polo gti

Re: polo 6r gti remap long term reliability ? remap or tuning box

Post by tommytse22 »

Thank you for the reply, i think I may go with revo as that's quite a big company. Not sure what to do tbh