Honest thoughts on the 6C GTi

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Honest thoughts on the 6C GTi

Post by Willni »

Evening all,

I'm considering changing my car from my 1.4 Polo 6R as I fancy a bit more power. So naturally I considered the mk7 Golf GTI pp which was disappointing and boring, so I'm now considering another polo but this time the lovely 6C GTi and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on them? As I thought the 1.4 albeit slow was actually a fun little car, so what's everyone think?

Also I have a mk5 Gti Edition 30 (Which is why the mk7 was awful), which for those that haven't driven one is an extremely great car but 22mpg and 20,000 miles a year commute isn't ideal.

Also considering the Fiesta ST, Caddy and Honda S2000.

Edit;

I would be modifying this car heavily
Blackscottadam
New
Drives: Polo 6c gti

Re: Honest thoughts on the 6C GTi

Post by Blackscottadam »

Had mine two weeks now and what a little car!! Lowered on billstein shocks and springs got a tuning chip and wow it pulls but so smooth driving slow or fast really comfy car only thing I’m missing is sat nav but other than that what a car it is highly recommend 👍🏻
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I'd say it is a decent enough car to modify and surprise a few cars.

I'm looking to going to try get as close to 400 poines.

Next on my list is a uprated clutch and smf with a quaife lsd.

I already have vwr intake, vwr turbo elbow, gfb dv+, forge turbo muffler delete and a Wagner competition intercooler.

Also have a milltek sports cat and is38 waiting to be fitted 😂
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

I've had mine for 2 years and can honestly say that I love it.

Every time I drive it, it genuinely puts a smile on my face. The handling is excellent with almost unbelievable levels of grip with VWs trick electronic front differential almost removing understeer - the only downside is the suspension is very firm, but you can buy a 1.2 if you want a soft ride. Fuel economy is in the mid 30s in the real world (40s if you stick to 70mph on the motorway) which imho is pretty good for the performance on offer. Speaking of which the 6c GTI is genuinely fast in standard trim.

Having held a licence for almost 35 years and been fortunate to own some nice cars (Audi TT, Honda S2000, 330d Coupe, Z4, many VW GTI's - still own a MK1 GTI) I'm not easily impressed, but the 6c GTI has really got under my skin. If you are thinking of an S2000 make sure you test drive it in the rain. I had mine for just over 12 months and whilst everyone raves about the engine few people admit that to some degree its frustrating in the real world (If you are caught below 6000rpm Miss Daisey will leave you for dead as you have to use the rather good gearbox to engage warp drive - from memory the performance below 50mph in 2nd gear is really ordinary) and no one talks about how it will try and kill you if the road is anything but bone dry. If you get one make sure you have several pairs of brown trousers!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Had mine from new for nearly 33 months now, and still really enjoy driving it. I’ve been driving for nearly 42 years and driven mainly hot hatches from Ford, Vauxhall and VW during that time, and I’d say that the Polo GTI is up there in my top 3 favourite cars I’ve owned. It’s not as refined as the Golf, and to me it feels a bit more ‘raw’, which IMO is no bad thing. I did consider the Fiesta ST before buying my GTI but quickly dismissed it as it was 3 door only a time, has a very cheap feeling interior, very firm suspension and seems to be a target for thefts. Additionally, I think I’m too old to meet fellow ST owners in the local McDonalds car park! 😁

My GTI’s standard apart from the wheels - I don’t like diamond cut alloys, which are prone to white worm corrosion (check them carefully when looking at a potential purchase - a good refurb costs £80-£90 + VAT per wheel). Agree with Gee40, the suspension is firm, but IMO, not bone-jarringly firm, which the mk7 Fiesta ST has a reputation for. Mine has the optional Sports Performance Pack, and in ‘Sport’ mode, IMO the suspension is too firm for everyday use, so I rarely use ‘Sport’ mode.

Performance is good, as is fuel consumption. Some forum members who took delivery of some of the early 6c GTI’s in 2015 had issues with creaks and rattles from the interior trim. Mine hasn’t suffered from creaks and rattles, and feels very well screwed together. Coming from a mk6 Golf GTD, the only minor downside for me is the small boot - as the battery is stored under the boot floor, you don’t get the adjustable boot floor; only the upper position. The small boot has never caused me any issues though, as I rarely carry rear seat passengers, so can always flip the rear seat backs down to increase the boot space when the need arises.

Mine’s only been back to the dealer for routine servicing - no warranty work has been needed. The only non-routine repair work I’ve had done is a repair to a stone chip on the windscreen.

Would I buy another? Yes, I would. My next car is likely to be a current generation Polo GTI+, but I’m not planning to change my current GTI for some time yet as I like it too much; maybe in 18-24 months time.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 am Additionally, I think I’m too old to meet fellow ST owners in the local McDonalds car park! 😁.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: