Bulb types

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
thegovernor
New
Drives: 2015 6R Polo S

Bulb types

Post by thegovernor »

Sorry for such a basic question, my daughter has lost her owner manual and I need to get some replacement bulbs on her car.

Both the DRL light and the Number plate light are out, I can't seem to find somewhere reliable that tells me what bulb type is needed for each? It's a December 2015, which I think makes it a 6C.

Also, Is there an online guide anywhere on how to get into the DRL housing to replace the bulb, I can start pulling trim etc but I'd rather check before I go at it, I think you take these out fomr the front of the car rather than in the wheel well?

Apologies I know this isn't most complex problem to ask a question about :)

Also, anyone know where I can get hold of the correct owner manual for the car? I imagine the dealer will be very expensive...
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Re: Bulb types

Post by peter_dk25 »

veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

DRL (outer section) most probably is a 21W type 582 (wedge), the same as on my 2017 Polo TSI. Front foglight (inner section of the DRL unit) most probably 35W halogen type H8. Rear numberplate 5W 6R5, type 501 (small wedge type). Some of these are a right pig to remove/install, so don't buy cheap replacements, as you won't want to repeat the exercise. Stick with good marques like Osram, Toshiba and Philips. If buying off the Web, be wary of fakes. When handling any halogen bulbs ensure you keep your fingers off the glass envelope, so as not to contaminate its surface, as otherwise the bulb won't last for very long.

Most of the front bulbs are accessed from within the engine compartment. On my Polo, the bulbs of the DRL assembly were especially difficult to access due to the Polo's main headlight obscuring it, inside the engine compartment. You may need to remove the main headlight therefore to get better access to the DRL housing. The headlight removes from the front, and there's sometimes a bit of a knack involved in springing it away.

My VW dealer flatly refused to sell me a second copy of the Polo Owner's Manual. In the end I got one (brand new, incidentally) off eBay, at a very reasonable price indeed. Don't know if they're still offered on eBay, though. I think the last VW reprint was edition Nov 2016.

With the numbers of queries you've been making in these forums, it might pay you to get a full copy of the VW Workshop Manual for Polo, from Easy Manuals. With that, you'll have to hand pretty much all the details you'll ever need for Polos 2010-2017. The manual comes in the form of PDF files and includes diagrams as well as text. The whole lot for years 2010 - 2017 costs little more than £15 (at the last viewing). I suggest you go to the Easy Manuals website and see what you think.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

DRL is probably a T20 21W, license plate lights are T10 5W
thegovernor
New
Drives: 2015 6R Polo S

Post by thegovernor »

Thanks guys I'll look through, I'll definitely check out the Easy manuals option too veteran thanks for the tip!