Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Alanaabdn
New
Drives: GTi 6n2

Exhaust flexi, lamda and oil pressure

Post by Alanaabdn »

Hi!

Just got a 2001 polo GTi.
There's a few issues I need to sort and being that I've never had a VW before a bit of help would be much appreciated.

I need a new Flexi as its buggered, but what diameter replacement do I need?
I also have a lamda error so need a new one of those (I think)
My oil pressure light comes on intermittently, so I need a new one of those sensors too.

Also the boot is smoothed but no button to open or anything, so I need a solution to that, I'm 30, I can't be climbing through the back all the time to open it haha..

Any other advice of suggestions much appreciated.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Exhaust flexi, lamda and oil pressure

Post by RUM4MO »

I've had to get a new flexi section fitted to the exhaust of a 2002 Polo 1.4 when it was only maybe 4 years old, which was annoying.

I found an exhaust "fabricator" and he did that job, ie chopping out the leaking flexi and fitted in a new flexi, but, just my luck that his parts supplier van only had a few sizes in the van that day, so he just fitted what was available!
As soon as I had driven maybe 5 miles, I noticed the annoying resonances, but I just drove home anyway, next day reversing up my driveway the exhaust was hitting the underside of the car!!
So, I was in the position that I did not know the dimensions of the original, so asked someone with the same engine to measure up their factory fitted one, then went online and found a company that supplied exhaust builders and they were willing to supply me what I wanted.
The important dimensions are:- the overall length of the flexi section including its "tails" that get welded to the car's pipes, the overall length of the actual flexi part of that section and finally the outside diameter of the car's exhaust at the joining points.
The other consideration is to buy the version that can handle the temperature of the exhaust so near the catalyst.
Where my "professional exhaust fabricator" got it wrong was, the flexi part of the repair section was too short and an least one size up diameter wise - I did fit the correct part that I then supplied to him and pointed out that he was an expert and that what he had fitted was perfectly okay and could not cause the issues that I claimed to be experiencing, after he repeated that repair at my expense, the exhaust was back to being "as good as new" - it is a shame when he end up using some "experts"!

Lambda probe, is it possible that this leaking exhaust flexi is causing the Lambda probe to be measuring "bad" values, or is the Lambda probe fault codes point to a failed probe/sensor? I'd always buy VW Group part or NTK which is the brand that VW Group tend to fit at factory.

There are few options of useful scan tools available for VW Group cars, I bought VCDS back in maybe late 2001 shortly after it was brought to the market and have kept using it since then on our VW Group cars in the family, I've had to upgrade it twice as VW Group changed the way they do things. I was also an early adopter of Carista but only bought it to have in both our cars, so I always have a VW Group compatible scan tool with me when away from home, for my benefit or for friends benefit, as I bought it early on I'm not strangled by the later "pay as you go/use" newer business model.

For a VW Group car of the age of your Polo, maybe you could buy an older genuine of VCDS like HEX or USB, though it will depend on if you plan staying with VW Group cars. The thing about buying a scan tool that is fully VW Group complaint is, they will "resolve/reveal/read" more codes than a basic scan tool, and cover all smart controllers in the car.

Just a small point, ideally this thread should have been posted into the "next down" section of this Polo forum as I've just noticed that it covers GTI only. I was going to use the "report" option but that would not have been very helpful to you as it looks like it should only be used to complain about what someone has posted, and that would not be very friendly!! Maybe, just maybe, if a moderator sees this thread and reads this bit, they could move it to the correct GTI section as doing that would give it better visibility.