DRIVERS + PASSENGERS ELECTRICAL WINDOWS

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
olivia_200460
New
Drives: Polo 2001 mk3 6N2

DRIVERS + PASSENGERS ELECTRICAL WINDOWS

Post by olivia_200460 »

HI guys I was wondering if anyone can help me...

I got my 2001 polo 6n2 around a month ago and I've noticed that both driver and passenger window switches on the drivers side don't work.
The driver side window doesn't go down at all, and the passenger side window only works from the window switch on the passenger side.
One issue with the passenger side window as well is that is can roll down when ignition is off and key is out, and also can sometimes roll back up by itself if you take the key out of the ignition.

I just want to know if it might be the switches, or if motor or regulator or anything else needs replacing.

I mainly just need advice with the window switches and the window on the drivers side as I cannot roll it down and summer is approaching :D

Thankyou!!
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Re: DRIVERS + PASSENGERS ELECTRICAL WINDOWS

Post by JUUL »

- First you need to rule out if the wiring looms are at fault. Check the wiring looms where the door meets the chassis, pull the rubber back and check for breaks in the cables. A 2001 vehicle has had its doors open and shut countless of times over the years, this can cause the cables to break over time. Also check the round connector (drivers side) for a loose connection. Its a twist on/off connector, if not seated correctly you might lose functionality of your windows and locking.
- The window switches can go bad as well. Find a friend with a 6n2 and swap his/her switches with yours. If the problem persists, its not the switches. Otherwise, they need replacing.
- Regarding the passenger window having a life of its own....it might be due to a faulty connection. So check above tips first before jumping to conclusions.
- The passenger side window goes up and down, so it cannot be the regulator. Until you check the drivers window's loom and switches, its difficult to diagnose if the regulator is at fault.

P.S: I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience. I hope I could help a bit and good luck.
olivia_200460
New
Drives: Polo 2001 mk3 6N2

Re: DRIVERS + PASSENGERS ELECTRICAL WINDOWS

Post by olivia_200460 »

Thankyou so much, this is very helpful :D