Rocker sills rust prevention

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Rocker sills rust prevention

Post by amer6R »

Hi,
I was cleaning today my car, a bit more detailed way. And I found out something shocking. Rear wheels, when you undo the bottom tx25 bolt (the one thats under the sill) that holds the inner fender, and you move it away so you can look in rocker sill direction (bottom) it's OPEN :shock:
Does you car have some kind or grommet or am I missing one??
I was shocked, because dirt, water, salty snow slush can get and travel all down the rocker (towards the front wheels) and eat it inside out.
Last edited by amer6R on Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Re: Rocker sills

Post by amer6R »

polo6r.jpg
polo6r.jpg (276.79 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Guys remove this bolt, and move the inner fender towards the tire.
image_2023-07-16_205057549.png
image_2023-07-16_205057549.png (73.56 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Get your self hand of this

and spray inside the sills. They are open, and dirt, water etc will run inside your sills. They will rot from inside

ps- if you are going to r
wash them first, open the large grommets on the front and back because it will fill up with water.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Re: Rocker sills rust prevention

Post by amer6R »

Rear arch rust prevention
Inkedmaxresdefault.jpg
Inkedmaxresdefault.jpg (164.84 KiB) Viewed 906 times
spray cavity wax in those holes, easier than removing rear inner fenders, and removing the plugs at the top (12 o'clock)
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

Well not been near the Polo much because of some health issues but finally managed to give the car a long deserved wash. Much to my horror I've noticed a tiny rust bubble on the passenger side sill right in front of the rear arch. It looks like water has somehow crept under the seam-sealer on the rear of the sill/arch. It's only cosmetic but just really annoying. (my polo is 2011 so 12 years old now) I checked the other side and low and behold tiny bubble in exactly the same spot.... Grrr... I've had the arch liners un-screwed just to check if its more serious or a build up of muck but it's all relatively clean.

Anyways, I've washed all the back of the sill where its open and blasted it with Bilthamber clear wax. Think I'll be booking the "Chips-Away" man or similar to sort it prior to winter. Sorry can't host any images or I'd have posted some images. It's looks like a manufacturing/age issue as the seam sealer runs right to the very edge of the sill and over time the edge lifts just a tiny bit just enough to let water under. Mud flaps hide that bit of the sill at the front but I'd put money on the front edge being the same. Gonna need to check.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

wolfie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:08 pm Well not been near the Polo much because of some health issues but finally managed to give the car a long deserved wash. Much to my horror I've noticed a tiny rust bubble on the passenger side sill right in front of the rear arch. It looks like water has somehow crept under the seam-sealer on the rear of the sill/arch. It's only cosmetic but just really annoying. (my polo is 2011 so 12 years old now) I checked the other side and low and behold tiny bubble in exactly the same spot.... Grrr... I've had the arch liners un-screwed just to check if its more serious or a build up of muck but it's all relatively clean.

Anyways, I've washed all the back of the sill where its open and blasted it with Bilthamber clear wax. Think I'll be booking the "Chips-Away" man or similar to sort it prior to winter. Sorry can't host any images or I'd have posted some images. It's looks like a manufacturing/age issue as the seam sealer runs right to the very edge of the sill and over time the edge lifts just a tiny bit just enough to let water under. Mud flaps hide that bit of the sill at the front but I'd put money on the front edge being the same. Gonna need to check.
Be careful with how much water because it overflows to other areas outside off sill.
When I blasted water from front towards back, it filled the compartment near the rear beam ( there are rubber grommets)

Just blast wax from inside it helps a lot. I also added wax on bottom, along the edge.
I think you help your sills alot by spraying wax
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Post by wolfie »

amer6R wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:34 pm Be careful with how much water because it overflows to other areas outside off sill.
When I blasted water from front towards back, it filled the compartment near the rear beam ( there are rubber grommets)

Just blast wax from inside it helps a lot. I also added wax on bottom, along the edge.
I think you help your sills alot by spraying wax
Cheers, I was mindful of that. Seeing as the sill was "open" at the end thought it wise just to simply sponge it all off rather than have a mad five minutes with the power-washer. I thought if I over-do it who knows where the water might find it's way into. The sills opening were actually just a little dirty. However the plastic arch liner has a bit that sticks down below the sill. As its hollow it had filled to the top dirt and grime. It obviously never going to rust but it might hinder any water that does need to drain out the back of the sill. Odd not capping the open sill. I suppose the idea is it's better to let water out than trap it in there. MkIV Golfs do tend to rust in that area.