Gearbox leaking oil

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Me9141
Getting There!

Gearbox leaking oil

Post by Me9141 »

Hi all, hope you are well.

I gave my car in for a service the other day, managed to get underneath to have a look around and spotted a leak on the gearbox.

The leak seems to be coming from the VW logo badge which is bolted at the bottom of the gearbox, my garage hadn't seen that before. I can't find a picture with the 9n's gearbox but below is an example of the 6Rs.

I've been trying to see if anyone else has experienced and what they did to rectify it.

Not sure if it got a crack underneath or its a hole with a seal in the badge. I know that the drain plug is separate and its the allen bolt. I'm just thinking to drain the box, remove the badge, reseal (with high temp silicone if rubber is not available), bolt back up and fill the box.

I have a 1.4tdi with AMF engine, not sure on the gearbox code but reading around the A2's have a GPK EWQ or an EEA code. Cant seem to find much on the net about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Gearbox leaking oil

Post by RUM4MO »

I would not remove that plate without first knowing what it does, it must be more than just a VW badge.
Me9141
Getting There!

Post by Me9141 »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:17 pm I would not remove that plate without first knowing what it does, it must be more than just a VW badge.
I've read somewhere online that its used to get a quick 'full' drain on the gearbox. Its just an odd place to get a leak, cant find anything about it online.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

There is a large bung plug at a low point on my 2002 1.4BBY auto. When I was planning for a ATF drain and refill I wondered about it and was similarly hesitant to remove it. Not really sure of its purpose but I did remove it and measured the ATF that came out. The main ATF sump plug on the auto is used for a level check. Anyway, I removed the sump, swapped the strainer, and a few hundred miles later removed the lower bung to do a refresh of the ATF and have done another since. When I did the overall (after the sump was off), removing the lower bung plug drained only a little more (200ml or so IIRC).